Questions on old wiring stapled to bottom of joists

Users who are viewing this thread

Skoby

Reaction score
I pulled down existing sheet rock to add a 15 amp and (2) 20 amp wiring and found the existing wiring was stapled to the bottom of the joists. It looks like some type of raceway but I haven't found any information online if this was past practice or not.

Is this the way some people used to wire in the past? I'm guessing the correct way to add any more wires is to drill. I suppose if I added more wires and put the sheet rock back up it would not be good? Thanks in advance

IMG_20140416_160454.jpg

IMG_20140416_160504.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere's a limit on how close and how many cable runs can be together, but it looks like you have room to add at least a few more there. The issue is heat buildup, and the possibility of needing to derate the insulation, or load carrying capacity of the cable. For certain, it's not good or acceptable to bundle a bunch of them into a ball, but what you have is, I think, fine. One of the pros can probably quote the code on this for further clarification.

Skoby

Reaction score
When the house was wired, it was not intended to have drywall installed over those runs.

So, should I leave the drywall down and until I change the wiring? I'm updating the kitchen wiring right now. The wiring was so messed up that it was easier to tear most of it out rather try to fix.

I've got a number of other issues in other rooms but I figured I could take my time and change a few at a time.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The primary danger is when someone unknowingly drives a nail or screw into the unprotected wiring. Wires in a closed wall or ceiling need to be at least 1.5" in from the face of the framing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks