Question about new modular home

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by pastfast125, Jan 9, 2006.

1. pastfast125

pastfast125 New Member

OK. I've posted alot about a basement bathroom. Well now that's not happening. I'm moving to iowa, and we were thinking about getting a modular home put up( one of the homes they make in the factory, and peice together on site. My question is, we were thinking about having it build so that it was left unfinished, so that we could put in whatever countertops, cabinets, flooring, whatever in ourselves. Would this in the end cost us more? less? about the same? I'm not really sure if they normally come unfisnished or what?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm not an expert on modular homes, but it is my understanding that they come ready to move you personal things into and start living. As far as having it only partly finished by the manufacturer, I think it will end up costing you much more. Some of the reasons modular homes can be sold for such modest amounts are that the manufacturer buys in volume far below what you would pay, they construct them basically on an assembly line which is far faster then you could do it. If you've ever remodelled a house, you know that a construction company can build a complete home from scratch while you're still trying to figure out how to work around existing construction. In other words, in my opinion, you'd be defeating the purpose of a modular home.