Question about builder problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
We hired a builder to remodel the master bathroom. We had him shrink the size of a closet, to make room for a soaking tub. The foot of the tub is where a sink was, so plumbing was already there. We then replaced the other sink with a new vanity (very little plumbing) and took out an old fiberglass tub/shower and got a new, tiled shower.

He did all of his own plumbing and it took forever (and he had to redo lots). He also got very confused by our tub. It seemed like it all worked though.

Then my wife took a bath and it leaked through the ceiling below when the tub drained. He was supposed to finish grouting and get his final payment tomorrow.

The original estimate was 2 weeks, $7,500, but with delays and "add-0ns" it's now more like 5+ weeks and over $10,000.

I don't trust him to fix the plumbing, so I want to bring someone else in. Should I wait until that is resolved before I give him a final payment? Should I deduct what it costs to fix it?

I now know not to let someone like him do plumbing, but what do I do in the short run?

I've attached the installation guide that came from the manufacturer.

Thank you

Attachments

• ANZZI_ACRYLIC_BATHTUB_INSTALL.jpg
    ANZZI_ACRYLIC_BATHTUB_INSTALL.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 299

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I opened up the ceiling to get a look at the plumbing. He was really, really confused by the tub and initially tried to use a test drain tube that came with the tub.

Attachments

• tub.drain.1.JPG
    tub.drain.1.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 248
  • tub.drain.2.JPG
    tub.drain.2.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 234
  • tub.drain.3.JPG
    tub.drain.3.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 249

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pictures do NOT show where there could be a leak. Doesn't the tub have an overflow opening? I would NOT have used a trap with a union on the outlet. What is a "test drain tube"?

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
It was a clear plastic tube that could attach to the tub drain. They said they'd never seen one before. I think they threw it away.

The overflow is in the front and sends the water to the drain. None of the material really shows (but I attached what else I have)

Attachments

• FT-AZ092-SPECS.jpg
    FT-AZ092-SPECS.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 243

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hold the last payment and get an able plumber to fix the leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Definitely hold the last payment. Keep in mind that in most places, you are required to allow the contractor to try to fix things. If both of you agree that he is not capable and can agree on a lowered price to pay someone else to fix it, that's the easiest way out. You have much less leverage if you pay the whole thing before it is working satisfactorily.

Hopefully, your shower was put together better! FWIW, one study I saw long time ago indicated that 75-80% of them were not built per industry standards. Some fail sooner than others. Any work you've paid a 'professional' for should be done to at least the minimum industry standards...leaks are not up to standards!

Next time, consider putting a completion guarantee in your contract...5x longer than originally indicated is way out of line unless something extraordinary occurred. You don't want to rush perfection, but it seems like the guy was way out of his comfort zone...you should not have to pay for that.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The builder has no idea what he's doing. Stop the builder now and get someone with experience in who does plumbing for a living. Free standing tubs take a lot more know-how than what your guy has.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you can show a picture when its leaking it'd be of help. It may be nothing more than the union fitting needs to be snug up. At least this guy used primer on the glue joints but the trap should be all glue joints above a ceiling.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I might try that when the plumbers get here.

I'm glad it's a wooden bead board ceiling so it was pretty easy to take part of it down (and it will dry out)

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
Definitely hold the last payment. Keep in mind that in most places, you are required to allow the contractor to try to fix things. If both of you agree that he is not capable and can agree on a lowered price to pay someone else to fix it, that's the easiest way out.

He's agreed to pay for any plumbing done from below (and had previously agreed to bring in a plumber if there were leaks).

Not sure why he distinguished between from below and from above.

Last edited:

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm a little bit worried about the shower now (and can't really test it until the glass gets here).

It did seem simpler than the tub though, and he used all Schluter products)

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It seems this was done without a permit?

I just had my bath totally remodeled. The plumber had an air bladder and pumped it up in the drain to block it. Fill the base with water before the tile was installed, then he called for an inspection. The inspection was more for that the base did not leak and the top part of the drain. The drain was existing.

To test the shower before the glass comes you can cover the drain with plastic and tape. If you can remove the drain cover and then plug up the drain. Fill the base with water using a pail. Let it stand a few hours and check for leaks below. Then let the water drain and check for leaks again.

The bladder tool is the yellow hose. I’m sure there is a better name for it. This shower is on a concrete slab but your base should have looked similar unless a pan was used.

upload_2018-4-23_14-41-43.jpeg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems this was done without a permit?

I just had my bath totally remodeled. The plumber had an air bladder and pumped it up in the drain to block it. Fill the base with water before the tile was installed, then he called for an inspection. The inspection was more for that the base did not leak and the top part of the drain. The drain was existing.

To test the shower before the glass comes you can cover the drain with plastic and tape. If you can remove the drain cover and then plug up the drain. Fill the base with water using a pail. Let it stand a few hours and check for leaks below. Then let the water drain and check for leaks again.

The bladder tool is the yellow hose. I’m sure there is a better name for it. This shower is on a concrete slab but your base should have looked similar unless a pan was used.

View attachment 46166
Wow, that reminds me of a three-piece suit I bought at JCPenney in 1981.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
The leak is from the very top, around the edges. The plumber thinks he used a floor drain and it just can't handle the water when the tub is emptied. The water that makes it into the pipes drains, but the spillover doesn't.

To finish emptying the tub, buckets of water got poured into the shower, with no problems, so it's probably ok.

Attachments

• tub.drain.JPG
    tub.drain.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 226

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
first plumber to look at it said it would be an all day job and couldn't come back until May 15

second plumber found what I'd thought he'd find and it's going to take a couple hours (mostly because of having to cut the tile because the hole is in the wrong place)

Attachments

• tub.drain.exposed.JPG
    tub.drain.exposed.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 216

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We hired a builder to remodel the master bathroom. We had him shrink the size of a closet, to make room for a soaking tub. The foot of the tub is where a sink was, so plumbing was already there. We then replaced the other sink with a new vanity (very little plumbing) and took out an old fiberglass tub/shower and got a new, tiled shower.

He did all of his own plumbing and it took forever (and he had to redo lots). He also got very confused by our tub. It seemed like it all worked though.

Then my wife took a bath and it leaked through the ceiling below when the tub drained. He was supposed to finish grouting and get his final payment tomorrow.

The original estimate was 2 weeks, $7,500, but with delays and "add-0ns" it's now more like 5+ weeks and over $10,000.

I don't trust him to fix the plumbing, so I want to bring someone else in. Should I wait until that is resolved before I give him a final payment? Should I deduct what it costs to fix it?

I now know not to let someone like him do plumbing, but what do I do in the short run?

I've attached the installation guide that came from the manufacturer.

Thank you

I would suggest you call the local inspections and pull your own homeowner-permit BEFORE anything else gets sealed up where you can't get to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks