Quality of Drip Irrigation Equipment

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by pmsmith2032, Apr 22, 2013.

1. pmsmith2032

pmsmith2032 New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Burbs of Chicago
    I am getting ready to buy drip irrigation equipment and I am wondering if there is any difference in quality between equipment (tubing, emitters, microsprayers etc) purchased at a hardware store (******* - Rain Bird and Orbit) and equipment offered online. I've read that sprinkler equipment offered online is often higher quality (commercial) as opposed to that in big-box stores, but I haven't seen anything on the drip irrigation eqiupment. Thanks in advance!
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Mar 30, 2011
    Rocket Scientist
    Houston, TX

Most of the stuff is made of plastic.

If it is plastic, then it is the same junk, IE made in China.

I would use fine mesh water screens / filter or you may find things plugging up often.

I have had good luck with Rain Bird products, and they are cheap and easy to replace.

Good Luck.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    There is no such thing as a "commercial drip system". It is all the same regardless of the manufacturer. You can also get the "commercial" sprinkler parts locally, just not at a big box store which caters to people looking for the lowest price.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    Plastic drip emitters will not last forever, but they are really pretty cheap. I too doubt there is any difference in quality for irrigation companies to hardware stores, they just usually will have a great selection to choose from and the people in those businesses can offer more accurate advice.