PVC fitting crack

Users who are viewing this thread

__Will___

Reaction score
Hello everyone; love the forum. I replaced a faulty well pressure tank with a cycle stop valve when we moved in 2020. 1-1/4" PVC plumbing comes into the closet then transitions to a 1" male threaded PVC fitting at the metal female cycle stop valve. Twice a crack just past the threads has developed in this PVC fitting (area of crack circled in red below). Any ideas why this would be occurring?

pvc_crack.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is an unusual place for a crack. Since you have had two of them fail I would say you got a batch of bad fittings. You might try changing from 1 1/4" to 1" before the elbow. Use a 1" elbow and maybe a piece of sch 80 in 1" that is threaded on one end.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Query based on theory, not experience: are the male threads metal, and if so, is this an example of downside of metal male threads into plastic female threads? I.e. cracking is a sign of overtightening, which is only a problem for that combination?

Cheers, Wayne

__Will___

Reaction score
Male threads are plastic, female threads are metal. I tightened only with my hand. I've noticed a slight movement in the pipes when the irrigation valves open and cause a quick drop in pressure. Should I attempt to affix the PVC pipes to the floor or wall? The run to the CSV fitting is only about 18 inches.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a picture from farther away. Hard to see what's actually happening here. I suspect gravity is the cause.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks