Pumptec under load and water shooting from relief valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Capades

Reaction score
I found water shooting from the pressure relief valve today when my pump is running. Then it tripped. It is set to 75psi. My pumptec is showing the yellow under load light when It trips. Our 5k holding tank is currently full.
Pump is most likely 20 yrs old but none of the local well co have been able to determine true age. We know the booster is 13 yrs. Bladder tank is 7yrs.
Of course everything in the well house is soaked an we are going down to 27 tonight. If I leave the water dripping, we are bound to run out much sooner than we would like and if I don't I risk a burst pipe. I live in south Tx. Any ideas.

Thassler

Reaction score
Sounds like your pressure switch stuck closed and the pump did not shut off. The pumptec showing an 'Underload' is usually a dry well condition but I would think a dead headed pump could also cause that.

Capades

Reaction score
Thanks, looked up dead head and started to back track some major events
Mon-pipes froze
Tues- hubby closed valves until pipes thawed. This was on his way in to surgery
We returned hrs. Later and I opened valves while he remained in a stupor for a few days.
Saw your comment and realized that I may not have opened one completely.
Yep, that was it.
Thanks to you I saved a few hundred bucks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am guessing the well pump uses a float switch in the storage tank, not a pressure tank like the booster has. In that case the line to the storage tank froze, the float switch called for water, so the pressure relief valve popped off. Coming home and opening the valve a little more wasn’t what helped, the pipes just finally thawed out.

Letting the water drip won’t help keep the waterline to the storage tank from freezing. You probably just need to turn off the breaker to the well when it gets that cold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks