pump won't prime

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by no luck, Jul 13, 2011.

1. no luck

no luck New Member

I have 20 year old shallow well used for irrigation with 1 Hp pump that came with the house. I replaced the pump abourt 4 years ago. has usuallly worked without any hitches. this year in the spring pump would prime but not hold it. I would have to reprime every morning. Now I can't get it to prime at all. system holds vacuum I can here it release when i break into system. I have tried flushing out the well with a hose down the well. no Joy. Is screen clogged? Do I need to sink a new well? Ideas please
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Welcome to Terry's Forums no luck,

Having the Model number of your pump may help.

When you put water in the well, does it take the water or just fill up the pipe ?

What is the casing size of your well ?

Have a good day.

DonL
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

You have a leak in the suction line or possibly a bad check valve. Shallow driven wells in our area usually last 20 years give or take 10 years. I'd say the life of your wel is nearing it's end.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Have you looked down the hole to see if theres any water there?