Pump Stops and Starts

Users who are viewing this thread

bwasow

Reaction score
Our home water system in Mexico works like this:
City water is delivered a couple of hours a day to our cistern.
From the cistern, it is pumped every few days to a 1100 liter tank on the roof.
From the rooftop tank, the water enters a Grundfos MQ-35 pressure booster pump.
Leaving the pump, the water passes through two filters, one for sediment and one with activated charcoal.
Finally, the water passes through a unit that uses electric sparks to soften it (changing carbonates to bicarbonates, or something like that) and kill most germs.
Then it enters our two story house.

My problem is that when water is running continuously in the house, the Grundfos pump cycles on and off every ten seconds or so. I fear it will wear out. I think this is a new problem; I did not notice it before. The pump has perhaps 18 months of daily use on it.

I thought that the filters might be clogged, backing up pressure to the pump. Rinsing the filters did not help. Also, the flow in the house is good (although water pressure cycles with the pump).

Can anyone offer me advice? By the way, this is a small town with a limited range of plumbing expertise.

Bernard

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Find the manual that came with the pump or download if online. Run the system check an make sure the pump is properly adjusted. I suspect the cut in / cut out settings are not correct or...............the pump is defective.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You would be much better off with a standard jet pump, small pressure tank, and a pressure switch. I am pretty sure it is going to be the electronics in the pump that are bad. That MQ is made to sell. They don't last very long. The trash bin is where I find most of those Grundfos MQ pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarek

Reaction score
Our home water system in Mexico works like this:
My problem is that when water is running continuously in the house, the Grundfos pump cycles on and off every ten seconds or so. I fear it will wear out. I think this is a new problem; I did not notice it before. The pump has perhaps 18 months of daily use on it.
Bernard

Hello.
I have the same problem.
Did you repair it?
What was damage?

Best regards
Jarek

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks