Pump Size, Pipe Size, CSV location????

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by fausdick, Jan 9, 2009.

1. fausdick

fausdick New Member

Hello,

What pump would be recommended for standard 3 bedroom 2 bath house. Distance from house to well is 500'. Well is 35' deep. Elevation distance from house to well is +5 feet, (house is 5' higher than well casing).

Also, what pipe size would be best?

Does the pressure rating of the plastic pipe need to be taken into consideration when installing a CSV? Is it better to install the
    CSV in the well casing or next to the pressure tank?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

What is the diameter of the well?

What is the static water level in the well?

Is the huse single story or any bathroom above ground level?

Any large tubs?

Any oversized showers, shower heads or body sprays?

Any irrigation?
  3. fausdick

fausdick New Member

thank you for the reply!

Diameter of the well is 6".

Static water is at 10' below surface.

I hooked a 1/2" HP jet pump up to the well and pumped it continous for 1 hour through a 1/2" boiler valve. This lowered the water level down to 18' below the surface. This is all the lower it would go. Once the pump was shutdown the water level climbed back to the 10' level within 2 seconds.

Bathroom above ground level. No large shower heads, tubs, etc.

It's only my wife and I. we have no children.

No irrigation system either.
  4. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I would use a 1/2hp Submersible Pump with a CSV1, CSV1Z or CSV1W with a WWT-20 Bladder Tank. I would use at least 1-1/2" pipe from well to house.

Pipe type would determine what grade to use. Don't skimp, use good rated pipe and you won't have any problems.

Where you install the CSV is kind of a matter of preference.

bob...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  5. odiddave

odiddave New Member

matter preference where csv goes?

Howdy- the CSV website says to install csv UPSTREAM of ANY valve/outlets.- you say a matter preference.
    I have a hydrant right at my well. do you mean that I can install in the garage where my plumbing is exposed- or do I need to install at well head (NOT my preference).
    thanks. odiddave
  6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

With a Hydrant, you would want the CSV in the well. If you install it downstream of the hydrant, the water has to run through the CSV backwards at a reduced flow until the pump starts, then the water will come from the pump.

bob...
  7. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Which is OK if you are just using the hydrant to fill a dog bowl. If you are using the hydrant for a sprinkler or anything long term, the CSV needs to be installed ahead of the hydrant.