pump running still no water

Users who are viewing this thread

lainey365

Reaction score
I saw my water pressure getting lower and lower. Went out to find pump not running. Checked breaker, it was OK. Tapped pressure switch cover with wrench and pump came on. I had problems like this before and had to drain tank. So I drained tank (not all the way to no water coming out though) Turned pump back on, pump has a prime but still no water in tank. It is like the water is coming up from the ground and going through the pump but will not go into the tank and in the house. I usually can hear the water going into the tank. I have some sort of air pressure thing mounted on tank with copper line going to pump. Took it apart and it has a rubber gasket type thing inside with a spring, all held together with 6 screws with nuts. I have had to have this replaced once before. Do not know what it is called and the only writing says, this side toward tank. Christmas eve, family here, no water. Help! Please!!!

Last edited:
R

Rancher

The thingie you took apart is the air makeup valve, it adds air to a galvanized tank, I'm guessing you have a shallow well jet pump (one pipe down the well) and it has either gotten clogged, or lost it's prime. Re-prime it if you know how.

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The device connected to the tank is to maintain air. It isn't necessary to get water. You do need to be sure that it is not leaking air back to the pump. If it leaks air from the tank to the pump inlet, the pump will probably not work.

If you disconnect it from the pump and plug the hole at the tank and pump, it will not cause problems with getting water. Get it replaced or the tank will eventually become waterlogged (full of water, no air).

Then open a priming valve or plug at the discharge of the pump and make sure the pump is pumping water. Then close the priming plug or valve and you should start getting water into the tank, if the pump is not broken.

lainey365

Reaction score
problem solved

Thanks Bob you had the answer. I took off the device and found caps to seal the openings on the tank and the pump. I will replace the device as soon as I can but I now have water. You saved the day. Thanks so very much!!!!!!

Merry Christmas

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks