Pump run time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wjh1175

Reaction score
Have a submersible pump (unknown HP on pump as I have not pulled it yet), 32 gallon tank, 40/60 pressure switch. Question is; from pump cut in to pump cut off it takes about 9 minutes with no water running in house (main shut off valve to huse closed). With a 32 gallon tank, I'm only storing 8 gallons of water, 9 minutes seems awfully long to me....possibly pump worn.. Any suggestions.

Reach4

Reaction score
Once the pump shuts off, if the water to the house is off, does the pump stay off for an hour or more?

You can work around this for a while by turning down the pressure switch to maybe 34/54. If you did that, you would drop the air precharge to 32 PSI. If you are still over 4 minutes, crank it lower still. Air precharge is normally 2 PSI below cut-on for a submersible.

It is about 10 PSI for each 3.5 turns of the nut on the big spring of the pressure switch. So about 2.1 turns CCW to drop 6 PSI. You should not need to touch the nut on the smaller spring.

But start looking for a good pump person in your area. You have been allocating money for this kind of thing to come up, right? I know most people don't. If you need to borrow money, try to use a bank rather than carrying a balance on your CC.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) Worn out pump
2) Leak in the system, (split pipe, rotted fitting, blown Oring in pitless, leaky offset pipe)

Backing the pressure switch off will do nothing but prolong the pain

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could also be a lower static water level putting the pump off the curve nearing a deadhead condition. Does the refill time vary with the amount of water use? If so, then maybe the well is getting drawn down.

Reach4

Reaction score
A less probable, but possible, explanation would be that the water level in the well dropped significantly.

Wjh1175

Reaction score
Update.. turns out the 1/4" galvanized pipe that goes to gauge and pressure tank was blocked with rust giving false reading to gauge and switch... replaced 1/4" nipples and all is good now.... hopefully this helps someone with similar problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks