Pump pressure stays @25 so it won't shut off

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by miss molly, Jan 21, 2010.

1. miss molly

miss molly New Member

My pump keeps running. The pressure just stays @25. We need to shut it off at the breaker box to stop it. We had frozen pipes the other day and the pump did shut off. We have very hard water. Somebody told me the "nipple" could be clogged. Btw my water tank is only 2 years old so its not a bad bladder.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Where did it freeze...
  3. miss molly

miss molly New Member

after the pump and tanki
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

are you sure the pump and tanks didn't freeze?
  5. miss molly

miss molly New Member

Yes I am sure. The pump was doing this before the freeze happened.
  6. miss molly

miss molly New Member

We don't want to rip it apart and find that there may be a leak in the lines someplace.
  7. miss molly

miss molly New Member

We have to turn the pump on and off at the breaker box, so when we need to use water for a shower or laundry, the pump just has to run constantly.
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Is your pump in the well or in the house?

Your pump might be damaged so that it cannot develop any more pressure. It's also possible that the line is leaking in the well or between the well and the house.
  9. miss molly

miss molly New Member

Our pump is in the house. We are pretty sure theres no leaks. Our well is only 35 feet deep. My husband is thinking about changing the pressure switch and nipple.
  10. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Some debri got in the nozzle of the jet assembly! If the pump has 2 pipes going to the well the jet assembly is in the well and must be removed and cleaned. I suspect you have1 pipegoing to the well or cistern. If that is the case the jet assembly is on the end of the pump. Either way the jet must be disassembled, the venturi removed and then with a 3/4" long socket wrench remove the nozzle and clean it of any debri. The nozzle will have 1/4" hole in it. Clean everything and replace the jet and you'll have pressure again. Pumps don't build pressure, the jet does. When things froze it most likely broke loose some rust and plugged the jet. Clean it out and you'll be fine!

Porky Cutter, MGWC
    "Master Geound Water Certified"
    www.dci-inc.us
  11. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If the pump is running and does not make pressure, the switch and/or nipple are not the cause.
  12. miss molly

miss molly New Member

It makes pressure, but only up to 25. If its not the switch, then what could it be?
  13. miss molly

miss molly New Member

how can my jet be in my well, when the jet pump is in my house? there are 2 pipes going into the well though...
  14. miss molly

miss molly New Member

you were right, we changed the switch and nipple and it is still the same.