Pump cycles on and off several times, stops at 20 psi

Users who are viewing this thread

BSteve

Reaction score
My 1/2 hp Wayne Reliant One jet pump turns on and off rapidly several times then shuts off. It builds pressure to about 20 psi (showing on the pressure gauge in the plumbing line) then the pump quits. I have a 20/40 psi system with a bladder pressure tank; tire gauge on the tank shows 22 psi.
At the switch I can force the pump to run but the pressure never goes higher than 20.
I replaced the pressure switch and still have the same problem.
Thanks for your help!

BSteve

Reaction score
OK. I cleaned the nozzle. Now the pump runs longer - it does not shut on and off rapidly like before. Pressure only goes up to 25 psi then the pump shuts off. Is there something else I need to check now?

BSteve

Reaction score
I adjusted the high cut-out on the pressure switch. Now I have it shutting off at 40 psi. I assumed it would be set correctly from the factory since the box said it was preset. Thanks for your advice!

Reach4

Reaction score
I adjusted the high cut-out on the pressure switch. Now I have it shutting off at 40 psi. I assumed it would be set correctly from the factory since the box said it was preset. Thanks for your advice!
Turn off the pump. Drain the pressure. Set the air precharge to 38 PSI. Close the faucet. Turn the pump back on.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. With everything normal, do a sanity check by checking the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. The pressure should be the same as the water pressure. If they differ, one of your gauges is probably wrong. Maybe it is the water pressure gauge. Or maybe the tire pressure gauge is off. Resolve the problem.

2. Set the precharge to 2 PSI less than the pump turn-on pressure: To do that, turn off the pump. Open a faucet to drop the water pressure to zero. Adjust the air pressure with an air pump to the appropriate PSI. Close the faucet. Turn on the pump.

(edited to remove errors)

Last edited:

Wondering

Reaction score
1. With everything normal, do a sanity check by checking the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. The pressure should be the same as the water pressure. If they differ, one of your gauges is probably wrong. Maybe it is the water pressure gauge. Or maybe the tire pressure gauge is off. Resolve the problem.

2. Set the precharge to 38 PSI: To do that, turn off the pump. Open a faucet to drop the water pressure to zero. Adjust the air pressure with an air pump to 38 PSI. Close the faucet. Turn on the pump.
If the pump is stopping at 40 psi then 38psi will be way too much air--right. Needs more like 18 psi if starting at 20 with a 20 psi between stop/start?.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks