pull a well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Ravenscroft

Reaction score
How do you pull this type of well. Help!

Attachments

• 1428588211344-762081144.jpg
    1428588211344-762081144.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 218

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forum.

Normally you would call a pump man that has the proper tools.

Do you know how deep it is ?

Good Luck on your project.

Jim Ravenscroft

Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's forum.

Normally you would call a pump man that has the proper tools.

Do you know how deep it is ?

Good Luck on your project.
No idea on depth. I replaced the preasure switch and gauge. Still nothing. I have the tools to pull it, just have never seen a cap like that.

DonL

Reaction score
1 Warning, You only loosen the cap bolts, you do not remove the bolts, or parts can fall into the well.

What kind of control box do you have ?

Good Luck.

Jim Ravenscroft

Reaction score
1 Warning, You only loosen the cap bolts, you do not remove the bolts, or parts can fall into the well.

What kind of control box do you have ?

Good Luck.
30-50 square D preasure switch. That's it. Can't think it's to deep if the head is pvc.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first thing you do is break the union loose, then loosen the four bolts in the well seal.

DONT REMOVE THE BOLTS OR NUTS

Then pick up on the galv fittings to break the seal loose. IF the drop pipe is pvc, you're going to need a halo or a hoist truck. IF the drop pipe is poly, you can probably pull it by hand.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Use a volt meter to check for power getting through the pressure switch. If the pump is not doing anything, you may not have the correct power to it. If you have voltage, check the amperage. If the motor is bad it will pull high amps for a few seconds and then drop to zero amps when the overload in the motor trips. It is not a good thing to pull a pump then find out you just didn't have power going to it.

Looks like a PVC bushing under the galv tee, probably PVC pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Look up "well seal" to see that item. I would think you would replace it if you pull the pump.

AFAIK it is a good idea to have a filtered vent screwed into the well seal to keep a vacuum from developing in the well. The filter keeps bugs and dirt out.

I suspect that thing with the white on top is a pressure relief, but I am not sure. I have very limited experience.

DonL

Reaction score
Volt meter and amp probe would come in very handy.

If it has voltage and is not drawing current, I would suspect a open wire, bad splice maybe.

If it draws current for a bit and cuts off the pump is most likely bad. Or it could be a loose connection/Low voltage.

Why the pressure switch was replaced would be nice to know.

But stabbing in the dark can be fun.

Jim Ravenscroft

Reaction score
Volt meter and amp probe would come in very handy.

If it has voltage and is not drawing current, I would suspect a open wire, bad splice maybe.

If it draws current for a bit and cuts off the pump is most likely bad. Or it could be a loose connection/Low voltage.

Why the pressure switch was replaced would be nice to know.

But stabbing in the dark can be fun.
Thanks for all the advice and help. The presure switch was rusted and points burned. I just moved here a few months ago. Lots of broken things to repair. We have 2 wells. This is well #2. I have power to the switch (220 v) and out to the pump. 42 psi at the pump from other well which is 200 ft away and feeds to this well, but the pump doesn't run. Was hoping the wires inside the casing are bad, but think the pumps shot.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the wires are bad you will not see any amperage. If the pump/motor is shot, you will see high amperage for a few seconds and then zero amperage after the overload trips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks