pt valve leaking on hot water tank

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by nap, Mar 30, 2008.

1. nap

nap New Member

The pressure/temp valve on my hotwater tank is leaking so I have replaced it along with my vacuum relief. the valve continues to leak so I had put a pressure gauge on my outdoor hose bib and found it had spiked to 150psi so i changed out my prv my house is 50 plus years old and figured that had to be the problem. Check the pail under my P/T valve and it has water in it again. What is causing it to open.

PT
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

have you addressed thermal expansion in any way? And wow..150psi house pressure!
  3. nap

nap New Member

Yup 150psi

No I havent looked at thermal expansion not sure why that would be a problem now . The one thing I did not check was to see where my gas valve pressure was at. It is a new john wood tank with the thermal link that opens if the tank exceeds 200 F and the valve needs to be replaced if that happens

PT
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you have an expansion tank, it is probably shot. If you don't have one, you need one. A PRV produces a closed system, a waterlogged expansion tank means there's no place for the heated water to expand, increasing the pressure and dumping enough to relieve it out the T&P valve. Depending on your water quality, pressure, and maintenance, they can last anywhere from a few years to a decade or more, but will and do fail.