1. charlie m

charlie m New Member

Hi,

I have a PRV outlet pipe running from beneath my combi-boiler through the wall to the outside of my building. I am wondering if it is okay to redirect it into the overflow outlet beneath the heater, which runs into the general waste pipe of the building. Cheers
  2. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Probably not legal....
    Check with your local plunbing codes to make sure....
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That's probably a Temperature and Pressure safety valve, not a pressure reduction valve. The problem with them is that when it blows, the water can be hot enough to flash into steam...very dangerous stuff. If it is leaking, it probably should be replaced - they don't last forever. If it is weeping, double check the state of the expansion tank...it could be shot causing the valve to leak when the boiler kicks in. It is generally safer to have them discharge outside. Check with the local codes.