Propane hookup for generator

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
I have a propane hookup for a tankless hot water heater. I want to extend the pipe to fuel an 8kw generator. my question is about regulators. The generator has a regulator and there is a regulator coming from the propane tank. Is there a problem with regulators after a regulator. Will they still work. All piping is 3/4 inch. I just want it all to work. All suggestions are welcome.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
Your propane supplier can answer these questions and probably should.

From the 2004 Addition of NFPA 58; a 3/4" (L) rigid copper line, between First Stage and Second Stage Regulators, less-than-50' long, with a couple elbows, will serve a 2,574,000 Btuh burner.

Your question makes me nervous for your safety. Please seek some professional help.

Coolul007

Reaction score
Your propane supplier can answer these questions and probably should.

From the 2004 Addition of NFPA 58; a 3/4" (L) rigid copper line, between First Stage and Second Stage Regulators, less-than-50' long, with a couple elbows, will serve a 2,574,000 Btuh burner.

Your question makes me nervous for your safety. Please seek some professional help.
I am a safe guy. I am in the middle of nowhere in a cabin. Ths is an outside generator permanently fixed in place. I will check for leaks, etc. All piping is outside. I still need to know about regulators. Google is no help in this regard, I have tried before posting here.

Reach4

Reaction score
The generator will have a specification about the pressure usually measured in inches of water (1 inch is 27.68 inches of water) minimum and maximum needed at the input to the regulator, and a maximum amount of propane gas required will be specified. Since the regulator is included with the generator, it is probably not necessary to even consider that regulator separately, but think of the requirements of the generator as a unit that includes the regulator.

The tank regulator will have a spec as to what the output pressure is (range) and how much propane can supplied. The supply needs to be more than what all of your loads consume. The drop in the pipe between regulators will be need to be small enough to meet the minimum input pressure required at the generator.

As BadgerBoilerMN implied, regulators at different pressures in series are common.

Coolul007

Reaction score
The generator will have a specification about the pressure usually measured in inches of water (1 inch is 27.68 inches of water) minimum and maximum needed at the input to the regulator, and a maximum amount of propane gas required will be specified. Since the regulator is included with the generator, it is probably not necessary to even consider that regulator separately, but think of the requirements of the generator as a unit that includes the regulator.

The tank regulator will have a spec as to what the output pressure is (range) and how much propane can supplied. The supply needs to be more than what all of your loads consume. The drop in the pipe between regulators will be need to be small enough to meet the minimum input pressure required at the generator.

As BadgerBoilerMN implied, regulators at different pressures in series are common.
Thank you. I will read all the requirements, if I have more questions, I'll post. I appreciate your response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks