Problems with old well

Users who are viewing this thread

eastert

Reaction score
I have an old well (maybe 30-40 yrs old). It is a 2 inch galv pipe driven down about 25-30 feet. The pipe terminates about 12 inches above ground level with a cap. There is a T about 30 inches below grade which then has a
1 inch ABS pipe going into the crawl space of the house. A 3/4 jet pump with a pressure tank takes over from there. The problem is that I lose prime everytime the pump rests. I have looked into the well. When everything is at rest, the water level in the pipe is about 6 feet below grade (which is very likely the water table level in my area). All the house plumbing works fine, but when the pressure tank runs out of water, it takes about five minutes to refill it. While this is happening, if I continue to run water in the house I get air/water mixed. It seems that my foot valve is shot. Can I run a new 1 inch line with a new foot valve down the well?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think any foot valve will be on that pipe because you didn't say anything about a pipe inside it. You may not have a foot valve but there should be a check valve in the line from the pump to the well if not.

It sounds as if your pump is not coming on when the pressure falls to the cut in switch setting, like it is lagging. Rust build up in the switch nipple, the bottom of the switch, or any tubing from the pump to the switch and the tubing fittings and the holes they screw into could be blocked up. That prevents the switch from seeing pressure changes in real time. And that would allow the water in the tank to run back to the well and out, and the pump to lose prime before it turns on. Otherwise the pump would be cycling on/off 24/7 and that burns up motors.

It also sounds as if the well may be running out of water. Or you have a hole in that pipe allowing the pump to suck air.

eastert

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I should have said that there is no pipe within the 2 inch galv pipe. Also, the pump is new and due to my limited experience with these matters, I may have the pressure in the tank set incorrectly. Does this additional information help?

eastert

Reaction score
How do I do a flow test? I could hook up an external pump, stick a pipe down the well and pump away - see if I can suck the well dry or not?

stanstolt

Reaction score
Before wasting your time replacing a waterline, you should uncover the well head and do a flow test to determine the wells production. Sounds like the well isn't producing sufficient volume anymore.

wellexpert
How does he do a flow test?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO a "flow test" is a waste of time because he said: "A 3/4 jet pump .... The problem is that I lose prime everytime the pump rests. I have looked into the well. When everything is at rest, the water level in the pipe is about 6 feet below grade (which is very likely the water table level in my area). ... when the pressure tank runs out of water, it takes about five minutes to refill it. While this is happening, if I continue to run water in the house I get air/water mixed. It seems that my foot valve is shot. Can I run a new 1 inch line with a new foot valve down the well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks