Problems start after cleaning u pipe of bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

anja

Reaction score
I wonder if you can help me. In June, I decided to clean the u pipe under the bathroom sink. Five days later, it was running slow, and the landlord used a snake to clear it. Then in August, I decided to clean the u pipe again, and almost immediately there was a problem. The landlord tried to snake it, and we used drano, and then he used a better snake. The problem remains. I believe there is some sort of venting issue based on the fact that I didn't have much junk come out both times. I just find after a while, I see crap in the drain and it smells so I clean it.

For a while, the water goes down. Then it collects in the sink and slowly drains.
I don't think my cleaning of the u pipe dislodged anything into the drains in the first place.

I have also recently cleaned the bathroom vent a bit.
What do you guys think?
The landlord wants to drill a hole directly under the sink and put a new pipe down, bypassing the four feet that currently go behind the toilet, so he doesn't have to disrupt the tiles.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
By definition "stuff" is NOT Supposed to get stuck in the 'U" bend, so any stoppage is after that point probably in the wall. There is more to cleaning a drain with a snake than just "having one". It has to be used "properly", and if that is done the drain will work perfectly. I have seldom had to "drill a hole" or "remove tile" to clear a sink drain.

anja

Reaction score
By definition "stuff" is NOT Supposed to get stuck in the 'U" bend, so any stoppage is after that point probably in the wall. There is more to cleaning a drain with a snake than just "having one". It has to be used "properly", and if that is done the drain will work perfectly. I have seldom had to "drill a hole" or "remove tile" to clear a sink drain.

The last pipe of the u bend before the bend towards the left had also become loose. So he used silicon to try to keep it in place. This joint is still leaking, despite having 24 hours for the silicon to dry. With respect to removing tile, he would do that if he were replacing the four or five feet of pipe going to the main drain, in the wall behind the toilet, as I understand it. Since the landlord has always managed to clear clogs with the snake, I doubt his technique is the issue. Any more suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts. First. Let's get some terms straight. What you call a "U" bend is called a P trap. The joints on a P trap do not use a sealant. If it's leaking it's incorrectly connected. Second. Never use a chemical to try to clear a clog. Third, heed HJ's advice. He's forgotten more on the subject than most of us know. Fourth. The solution is out of your control. The landlord has the responsibility to make the repair. Actually, he has more than the responsibility, he has the legal obligation to make the repair. This can become a touchy problem depending on the landlord's determination to DIY instead of seeking a professional plumber. In any case, I suggest you do not make any attempts to fix the problem so that if any damage is discovered later, you can not be blamed. FWIW

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some times the U looks like a J.

Tell the landlord to get a drain cleaning pro with the right size snake and the patience and know how, and clear the line . Go as far as you need to get the water flowing freely again. A good plumber will give the landlord warraty, most likely for more than a day.

anja

Reaction score

Tell the landlord to get a drain cleaning pro with the right size snake and the patience and know how, and clear the line . Go as far as you need to get the water flowing freely again. A good plumber will give the landlord warraty, most likely for more than a day.

anja

Reaction score
1) The moderator called it a u bend. I don't care what it's called. 2)I know not to use chemicals, it was the landlord's idea to try that. 3) In my twenty years as a tenant in ten places, I've seen many non-plumbers clear drains with a snake. I guess I have faith in the process, you might say. 4) The issue was never one of the landlord shirking responsibility. I just wanted to learn more and to maybe help him with an idea or two. He's 72, and quite a successful handyman in general. All week long he fixes stuff for customers. If it comes to it, he will hire a plumber, but he likes the challenge of getting it right himself. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm thinking it's not a clog. You are all thinking it is a clog. I can't understand how simply removing the p trap could cause problems lower down when nothing lower down is disturbed, as was the case in June. Do you advise not to clean the p trap for tenants?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cleaning the P trap is fine and will probably solve most slow or partly clogged drains. For clogs that are deeper, that won't help. A snake that is too small can just push the clog deeper and even compact it.

Reach4

Reaction score
The purpose of a trap is to keep sewer gas from coming out of your drain.

The presumption of a clog is because when drains work and then later they don't, the cause is nearly always a clog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; True, but it sure looks more like a U than a P.

1. put the two pieces together and look at them from the side to see the "P", or turn "Reach 4"s avitar 90 degrees counterclockwise and look at it again.
2. Since the two sides the bend are different lengths it is more of a "J" bend than a "U"
3. No matter HOW MANY times he has snaked the line successfully, if he can't do it this time he is doing something wrong, or he has the wrong "snake".
4. The CODE DEFINITION of a trap is that it be "self cleaning" so stuff does NOT lodge in it. It is to ONLY "trap" sewer gases, NOT debris.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks