Problem with New Tub Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

boomer70

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would cause the water to come out of a tub spout like this (see attached photo)? Instead of coming out in one stream, it is coming out in all directions, like a kitchen sink faucet without an aerator. Some of the water is even going back towards the direction of the overflow drain. This plumbing is for a new tub (not a replacement) in a second floor bathroom, and the spout, valve kit, etc is Price Pfister.

Thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

• spout.jpg
    spout.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,331

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I think I see what appears to be a ledge with predrilled holes below the spout, this tub may have been made for a "roman" type tub faucet, plus the spout is unusually high, usually you need a minimum 1" gap to the flood rim of the tub.
Regular tub spouts aren't made long enough to get past that rim...usually a straight shot to the basin.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No clue on the tub spout, but, the vapor barrier should have been run over the tiling flange. CBU is NOT waterproof, only not affected by water. Any vapor or liquid (hopefully none, though) that gets through the cbu needs to be directed into the tub, rather than down the wall to the floor.

boomer70

Reaction score
Thanks, GrumpyPlumber and jadnashua. The three holes that you see in the photo are actually for the overflow (the cover is missing). This tub has a "deep soak" feature, or in other words, a high overflow. Thanks for the other tips as well - vapor barrier, etc.

Is it possible that there isn't enough water pressure? If so, what can I do to improve this?

Thanks again...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Nice photo, but still can't tell. Are you getting good volume out of the spout, or is it weak? The make some long roman tub spouts, which sometimes have an aerator, like a kitchen faucet or lav, to smooth out the flow.

Ideally, you should have furred out the wall studs so the backer board could have extended to a point BELOW the top of the flange. As it is now, you are relying totally on caulk to hold water away from the wall.

Good reference for tile work ( not an expensive book ) is the "Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation" from the Tile Council of America. www.tileusa.com

Also, an excellent on line resource is the forum www.johnbridge.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

It is the nature of the beast. You have a limited flow coming out of a large opening, so the water does not have enough residual pressure to create a concentrated flow. The diverter may also be affecting it. A different spout may be the only remedy.

perrycat

Reaction score
I think what's going on is that it's the type of spout that you pull the stem up to get shower water and push it down to get tub water......those things get bad and sometimes are just bad from the factory.

I THINK maybe the thing inside the spout that moves UP to block the flow thus the water goes UP the riser and out the shower head......anyway, that THING....yes thats a technical term.....is either STUCK or is off it's little track it rides up and down on to do it's job, inside the spout......also there's an O ring behind the little "gate" thing and that O ring might be off allowing the water to spray in between the little gate thing and the end of the spout inside.....take it back and tell em it's a defect if you bought it.

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
spout/backer board...

I'm with Jimbo on your backer board.Did you screw it or nail it?If you screwed it,I would take the time to remove it,furr out the studs to have the backer come over the tub flange.Fix the vapor barrier while your at it.That's the biggest reason for premature failure in shower/tub areas.Water finds it way in there,trust me.Spent months in a Las Vegas subdivision fixing numerous houses due to improper installation around master bath tubs.I'd fix it even it meant having to buy new backer board.Easier to remedy at this stage rather than after tile install...
I'll defer the question about the spout to the pro plumbers but could a piece of construction trash found its way into the spout?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
at the left hand side of the picture, i can see plastic behind the backerboard. Now if the tub flange is a double flange, then that plastic is sitting in front of the flange. But if the flange is just that visible part under (below) the backerboard and plastic, then you have a big failure coming in a future year. Because it is a tub-shower. Every time water slides down that wall, some will enter that slot. You want the plastic to be positioned so that water sliding down the wall and inside the grout of the tiles, goes back into the tub.

about the spout and its water: how much flow have you got? Is there a copper pipe inside the spout? If long enough, it should create a nice looking current.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks