priming 3" floor drain, Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm thinking about moving my HWT to another room in the house. I was going to just bust up the concrete and put in a 3" P-trap and bit of pipe and then cut off the pipe flush to the new floor and put a floor drain grate on it. My question is, if you guys had just 3" ABS how about you trap seal prime this drain without using an indirect connection priming from above?

I know if I buy actually floor drains (which would cost more) they would have female connectiotns on them from the manufacturer for adding a primer line.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm thinking about moving my HWT to another room in the house. I was going to just bust up the concrete and put in a 3" P-trap and bit of pipe and then cut off the pipe flush to the new floor and put a floor drain grate on it. My question is, if you guys had just 3" ABS how about you trap seal prime this drain without using an indirect connection priming from above?

I know if I buy actually floor drains (which would cost more) they would have female connectiotns on them from the manufacturer for adding a primer line.

You are allowed to drill the connection for the trap primer into the HUB of the floor drain above the trap seal. Then thread in a 1/4" male by compression fitting.

You are allowed to do this because the trap primer itself should have an air gap.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
What tools and fittings would you use to tap into abs? I don't think I've actually seen it done. I've seen the finished product in the feild but never witnessed to doing of it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A drill bit and a pipe thread tap. Or use a tee in the vertical pipe with the proper sized bushing(s) into it. How you make the connection is NOT as important and HOW you supply the water to the trap.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
What tools and fittings would you use to tap into abs? I don't think I've actually seen it done. I've seen the finished product in the feild but never witnessed to doing of it.

I simply drill out the ABS with a drill bit that is just a bit smaller then the size of the fitting. Then very carefully just start threading in the fitting. It should carve it's own threads, but just becareful to not cross thread it! But if you have a tap set like HJ suggested then that's a good way to do it too!

Christoff

Reaction score
does the primer line have to be in a sleeve, or can it just be placed into the gravel when put under the floor, im am doing that right now

Benze

Reaction score
You are allowed to drill the connection for the trap primer into the HUB of the floor drain above the trap seal. Then thread in a 1/4" male by compression fitting.

You are allowed to do this because the trap primer itself should have an air gap.

You wouldn't by any chance have a picture of a setup like this by any chance? I'm in the process of doing the same thing and would love to see a setup before I attempt one myself.

What size primer line is recommended? 1/2"?

Thanks,

Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks