Moving P-Trap from Below the Floor to Above the Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

pcantin

Reaction score
Hello to you all.

I am putting in a new double basin kitchen sink and want to use new pipes for the drain. Currently, the p-trap is under the floor (see diagram for the present setup). Is there an advantage to putting the p-trap just below the sink instead of having it below the floor? The vent needs to stay where it currently is. It is an open basement ceiling, so the p-trap is accessible no matter the configuration.

If I can set up the trap above the floor, how long must the pipe be from the trap before dropping vertically (the green section on the image) and how far down can it drop vertically after the trap and before the vent (the red section on the image)?

p-trap.jpg

I will most likely keep the setup as is since it drains well with no odour. Just wanting to know if there is any advantage to changing it.

Thanks for your help on this (I am in Ontario).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
why are you changing it ? America the p trap is always above the floor 100 percent of time but your in Canada no idea why we are diferant

pcantin

Reaction score
why are you changing it ? America the p trap is always above the floor 100 percent of time but your in Canada no idea why we are diferant
Just redoing the plumbing that is poorly done to clean it up a bit (dishwasher wye is cracked, etc.). I figured I would see which configuration is better now that I will be re-plumbing it. Yes, we are permitted to have the trap below the floor (we can go 36" down from the sink before the trap if I am not mistaken).

I am pretty sure I will recreate what is already there, as it did drain well.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I can set up the trap above the floor, how long must the pipe be from the trap before dropping vertically (the green section on the image) and how far down can it drop vertically after the trap and before the vent (the red section on the image)?
For the last question, the answer is one trap pipe diameter. So for a 1-1/2" trap, it can drop 1-1/2" at most.

In other words, you'd need to move the vent connection to above the floor. If your jurisdiction allows AAV, that would be one option to do that.

Cheers, Wayne

pcantin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think it will be easier to keep it as is. Again, it drains quickly and without issue, and it did pass inspection when it was put in.

Much appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think it will be easier to keep it as is. Again, it drains quickly and without issue, and it did pass inspection when it was put in.

Much appreciated!
I wouldnt give much credit for passing inspection Inspectors are no better or worse than tradesmen really they miss stuff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks