Pressure Tank to outlet, how far is too far?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dsk, May 29, 2006.

1. dsk

dsk New Member

I have a well head located 500 feet from the farthest point where I need to get water (a spigot at my garden). I plan on laying 100 psi poly pipe in a trench, and splitting off two runs along the way. One run will carry water into my cabin (used monthly) and the other will carry water into a barn.

Is it ok to place the pressure tank close to my well head (where I have power) and pressururize 500+ feet of polypipe?

And if that's ok, then what's the maximum feasible length of polypipe you would want to try and run/pressurize from a pressure tank?

Thank,
    DSK
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I have 800 feet of 1" 80 psi poly feeding a couple of faucets at the back of my tree farm. I can run one sprinkler very well with it. I haven't tried to use more than this at any one time, but if you want, you can check the friction charts for plastic pipe at any given flow rate and see how much loss there will be.

Just be sure to run the right size for the amount of water you plan to use, or you will be sadly disappointed.

bob...
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

If you find that you are getting irregular flow at the end of the line, then you can add a second pressure tank at the end. It will sustain the pressure while the water in the line gets flowing.
  4. dsk

dsk New Member

Two great posts, thanks. The added pressure tank is a neat idea. I'll be running 1" polypipe the whole way, and my water usage will rarely ever be more than one faucet working at a time (this is a weekend cabin with very little demand on the well). So I hope to have good results.
  5. vaplumber

vaplumber Guest

Very good idea. If you sue the right size line, you should have no problems. Your system should work fine.