Pressure tank " relief valve?"

Users who are viewing this thread

jbhud

Reaction score
I have a submersible pump system with a pressure tank setup. It is inside a septic tank type concrete box outside ( buried). I had the pressure switch replaced about a year ago, and the pressure was fine for awhile. It has slowly gotten worse. I climbed down in there today to see what the settings are, and if the gauge is correct, cutoff was about45. It's a 30/50 switch. I noticed an air leak type sound when I climbed down inside the tank. It is dry in there, so i was wondering if it could be the valve( looks like a releif valve) mounted on the pipe close to the gauge. If is was the bladder, wouln't it just deflate and I'd have no water?( and I turned the switch up to see what would happen, and the pressure is fine now, but have I created more trouble for myself?
Jamie

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every submersible well pump installation should have a relief valve to protect the tank against overpressure unless the pump is incapable of developing enough pressure to exceed the rating of the tank.

Most submersible well pumps, at least for reasonably deep well, will generate pressure in excess of tank rating if the pressure switch fails.

A frequent cause of unexpected pressure observations is failure of the pressure gauge. Most $5 gauges (a lot of $5 gauges are sold for $15 or more) don't last long and can easily get out of calibration.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
jbhud said:
I have a submersible pump system with a pressure tank -- I noticed an air leak type sound when I climbed down inside the tank. It is dry in there...
Given that it's dry, it would seem that your pressure relief valve is not at issue--it would be dribbling or spouting water.

If your pressure tank has a Schrader valve on it, put some dish soap/water mixture on it to see if maybe it's leaking. Might need to tighten it and then re-set the air pressure therein. In fact you should check the pressure anyway with the most accurate guage you have.

jbhud

Reaction score
thanks guys. the pressure should be 2 lbs less than the cut on pressure? and what's a schrader valve?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It's an air valve stem like on your car or bike tire. It may be under/in a large plastic cap and is usually on or toward the top of the tank. No water in the tank when you check the air pressure, so you have to drain the tank. That's a good time to flush the tank repeatedly by turning on the pump for 5 seconds with the drain valve open and watching the last water to drain out of the tank. When you get it as clear as possible, you're done.

jbhud

Reaction score
thank you gary, I know just what you mean now. i'm off to make a mess

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks