pressure tank provlems

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by stephenabeam, Apr 11, 2009.

1. stephenabeam

stephenabeam New Member

I recently had my switch and gauge replaced and the tank re-pressurized to 60 pounds. That lasted about 3 hrs. until my wife ran water to the horses.
    The tank dropped to 0 and I shut off the inside valve until the tank pressurized to about 45. Since then, I have lost pressure several times. I had a plumber tell me no leaks inside house. Is this a sign of a bad bladder ?
  2. Waterwelldude

Waterwelldude Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer

60psi on the tank is too high of a setting on the bladder. With all the water drained out of the tank. The pressure on the bladder should be 3psi below the cut on pressure of your pressure switch.
    If you have a 40/60 switch, there should be only 37psi in the tank bladder.

Travis
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

When your pressure goes to 0, your pump hasn't come on. So you have a blocked switch nipple or the tubing to the switch on a jet pump and the fittings the tubing goes to and then hole the fittings screw into could be blocked. If submersible pump it could be overheating and the thermal overload opens then cools and it comes on again to overheat again.

What type pump?

Is it running when the pressure goes to 0?

What do you do when it goes to 0?

If a submersible, do you have a control box between the switch and the well?