Pressure tank bladder

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by VA Rigger, Oct 26, 2009.

1. VA Rigger

VA Rigger New Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I posted this thread on the Plumbing Forum, but it was suggested that I repost on this forum. Our pressure tank’s bladder has ruptured (water in upper chamber). Current model is 86 Gallon. The model just installed at a larger house is, I believe, 62 gallon. Must I replace with the same size or can I downsize? What size is recommended? Or how do you figure the right size? Thanks for your help.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Jul 30, 2008
    Tech. Instructor
    S. Maine
    You can downsize but you shouldn't. bigger tanks give you more storage and longer pump cycles which are good for pump life. Alternatively, you could go with a very small tank and a cycle stop valve, which would be even better. See sticky above for info on CSV's
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Consult and Teach Well Drilling Internationally
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Peter Griffin said it right. Install a Cycle Stop Valve with almost any size tank.

Read my stories by Googling
    "Porky's Hole Thoughts"
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009