Pressure Switch Question

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dbolong, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dbolong

dbolong New Member

Would changing my pressure from a 20/40 to a 30/50 be hard on my pump? I'm not sure if its completely necessary, however I would love to do it if it's not going to hurt anything or cut the life of my pump in half.

My pump-
    Northern Industrial Shallow Well Pump Max PSI 72 — 1 HPNorthern Industrial Shallow Well Pump — 1 HP, Model# JGP12001CHT | Shallow Well Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks!

Derrick
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

The part missing from the equation is how high the pump has to lift the water. The Max PSI of 72 is probably with the pump down at the water table. Frequent cycling is more likely to kill the pump than longer cycles. I assume the varying low to high cut-in/cut-out pressure is what you find most irritating and a Cycle Stop Valve would give you constant pressure and reduce the cycling.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Probably not but I doubt that you will notice a huge difference.
  4. WellWaterProducts

WellWaterProducts In the trades

You should be able to adjust to that point.