pressure surge

Users who are viewing this thread

louie 44

Reaction score
Hey everyone, have a 30 50 pressure switch, when the pump kicks on it produces pressure on cold side,
just blows out like a air gun, it actually blew out toilet valve in tank.
I have drained the pressure tank and its at 28 which is where it should be, anybody out there have any idea
what may be and how to fix :confused:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it blowing out air? If so, I suspect you have a checkvalve at the tank and water falling back to the well creating a vacuum sucking air in. Was there a galvanized tank before with an airmaker/snifter?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Hey everyone, have a 30 50 pressure switch, when the pump kicks on it produces pressure on cold side,
just blows out like a air gun, it actually blew out toilet valve in tank.
I have drained the pressure tank and its at 28 which is where it should be, anybody out there have any idea
what may be and how to fix :confused:
I have never seen a pressure tank with a hot side.
John:confused:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This seems to be a day in which many people are learning about the problems a second check valve in a pump system can cause.

You probably have a bad check valve on the pump or a hole in the drop pipe. But it would not be getting air if you didn’t have an extra check valve, most likely above ground.

Remove the above ground check valve. It is masking the real problem. Then if the pressure drops with the pump off and no one using water, the check on the pump or the hole in the drop pipe will need to be fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks