Pressure problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Glaswegian

Reaction score
I have a deep well about 150ft yesterday noticed that pressure was bad. Checked the expansion tank when system had 0 pressure and pressure was ok at 28lbs. Changed the pressure switch out and still have the problem. Pressure won't rise above 15lbs. Water runs ok at that pressure except there isn't much because of the pressure. Is there an obvious problem that I am not seeing? Pump sounds like its running and like I said if I leave water running it doesn't stop. Would I be right in thinking that mabye some of the seals or impellers in the pump have gone and thats why I can't get pressure or is there something else I should check. Well is 13 years old

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Could be that or a leak in the pipe between the pump and tank...
Do you hear any water running in the well shaft while the pump is running?
Do you get a burst of air when turning on the water 1st thing in the AM?
Does your pump cycle on and off when no water is being used?

Glaswegian

Reaction score
The pump is running continiously and does not cycle, there is no air in the morning and I can't hear any waterin the well shaft

Glaswegian

Reaction score
Bob I have a constant flow of water at about 1/2 gal a min at 15 psi. Pump doesn't shut off. Do not see any signs of leaks outside although pipe to house is like 4ft down. Do not hear any water running in well shaft.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
They don't make pumps that pump only 1/2 GPM. You either have a serious leak or a failed pump. It is probably easier to pull the pump than to start digging a trench to find the underground pipe.

If you have or can borrow a clamp-on ammeter you can probably tell if it is a leak or a failed pump.

If there is a big leak and the pump is good, then the current will be nominal for the motor or a little high because it is pumping water.

If the impellers are shot so they don't work the motor should be drawing less current, suggesting a bad pump.

Glaswegian

Reaction score
Pulled pump today and found problem. The pump was installed without a torque preventer (riser is plastic) and the top of the pump had cracked like halfway around the top, signs of scuffing on the fitting above and the pump was off to on side slightly.Replaced it with a all stainless pump, and added a torque preventer. Have real bad silt since I turned new pump on is this normal and should I leave water running to clear it up or allow silt to settle in well.

parry

Reaction score
Hello,
Try this,
1) Request a check by your water supplier. They may discover that a supply valve is partially closed.
2) Try to find the restriction by determining which fixtures suffer from low pressure and which don't.
3) If the problem seems to be at a single faucet or shower head, check for a flow restriction, clogged aerator, or dislodged washer. Remove the shower head, the aerator from the faucet (if there is an aerator), or the faucet and look for a restrictor--a rubber or brass disk--or a washer that has become dislodged.
4) If the problem persists, contact a plumber to check for obstructions or solve the problem by adjusting your home's pressure regulator, if there is one, or installing a water pressure booster pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hello,
Try this,
1) Request a check by your water supplier. They may discover that a supply valve is partially closed.
2) Try to find the restriction by determining which fixtures suffer from low pressure and which don't.
3) If the problem seems to be at a single faucet or shower head, check for a flow restriction, clogged aerator, or dislodged washer. Remove the shower head, the aerator from the faucet (if there is an aerator), or the faucet and look for a restrictor--a rubber or brass disk--or a washer that has become dislodged.
4) If the problem persists, contact a plumber to check for obstructions or solve the problem by adjusting your home's pressure regulator, if there is one, or installing a water pressure booster pump.

He has a well not city water.

I wonder if you had a Myers Rustler. They had problems with the discharge head cracking several years back.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks