Pressure Drop - whole house filter - Aquapure AP903

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
So I drained what you saw in the last video and let it sit in a white bucket overnight. Bucket had some staining on it but basically you can see a tiny bit of sand and large debris in the middle of the bucket........but the water remained BROWN.

That means the particles are so small that they are still dissolved in the water! UGH.

I think I should take the same bucket and go to my neighbor's house that I know is also on the same 10" main and see if the water is just as brown out of his kitchen sink. If not then there must be something going on with the line at my house. However, my incoming pressure gauge shows it pegged at 100psi so if there was a leak I would imagine the pressure drop would be evident.

2017-05-09 12.23.27.jpg

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the water AFTER the filters.

The crazy thing is I think this is normal for Tarrytown - they have an exemption for NYS turbidity laws because there is no processing plant here..............

2017-04-29 14.38.15.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That means the particles are so small that they are still dissolved in the water! UGH.
EDIT...I was thinking that means ferrous iron in solution. But that can't happen with chlorinated water.. unless the chlorine has all been used up before it gets to you.

But wait.. I keep forgetting that you are on city water. It should already have that chlorine in it. I think I would ask the water department what is going on.

Last edited:

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
I just flushed the Rusco again. I took a shower last night and we did a load of dishes in the dishwasher. Kids took 3 showers/bath........

MY GOD.

2017-05-09 12.40.42.jpg

So I also filled the bucket from a drain cock before the Rusco. Still brown but not as brown (as expected).

2017-05-09 12.23.27.jpg

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Update:

After months of replacing both my 20-5 micron sediment filter and my GAC filter for the big blues and also because of the large bathtub I'm putting in for the upstairs bathroom, I realized my current setup was not going to cut the mustard.

The gac filter only does 4gpm max and the cost and hassle of replacing it about every 2 months (sediment filter was every month) convinced me to upgrade to a Fleck 5800 LXT coconut shell carbon filter. That will give me max 15gpm and should last 2-3 years before replacing the media.

So now I've got water main => rusco 150 micron => 20 micron pleated => 5 micron pleated => fleck 5800.

I also replaced all the 3/4" pex with 1" pex and have noticed a nice increase in flow. I can also taste the difference in the water - the big blue just doesn't have enough media in it to be effective.

Thanks a ton to dittohead here on the forums for helping me out beyond the call of duty and patiently answering all of my questions!

Here are some pics:

2017-12-24 16.45.30.jpg

I'm going to replace the 1" pex from the fleck with a Falcon 1" flexible hose. Will do the same for the incoming copper.

2017-12-24 16.41.54.jpg

Had to run 3/4" pvc drain line about 40' around the corner of the basement into the sink.

Here's the initial backwash output from the drain.

2017-12-24 16.38.30 inital backwash.jpg

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
And before anyone gives me a hard time about the "extra fittings" and this certainly must be a "diy job" I reused what I could from the copper piping that was already part of the loop. So yes, there are some extra fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice. If doing more plumbing, a boiler drain valve can let you connect a GHT pressure gauge, and it can let you sample the water at that point in the path.

I like your pressure gauges between filter cartridges.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I will most likely put another gauge right where I transition from the 1" pex => 3/4" copper. I was also thinking I might redo the loop but for now it's not necessary.

The fleck is currently set for 14 day regen for 6 minutes. I am curious to see how long the 20 micron and 5 micron pleated filters will last. There is a ton of sediment in the city water.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Got my 3/4" john guest x 1" FIP nylon Falcon full ID flexible hoses today and hooked them up. Woot.

Here you can see the difference between the Falcon hose and a sharkbite braided hose.

2018-01-02 14.31.02.jpg

2018-01-02 15.00.37.jpg
2018-01-02 15.00.34.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks