Pre DIY Advice Please

Users who are viewing this thread

sparkyrhett

Reaction score
Good morning, I am new to this forum so please bare with me. I am going to attempt to repair the faucet "stems" in my daughters shower/bath. They are so bad that the water is no longer a drip, but a slight "run". The house is about 30 years old. Through visual inspection, I can almost see a problem occuring, especially with my all "thumbs" capabilities. Calling a plumber would be good advise, but lack of disposeable income prevents that. Looking inside the handle, it looks like the screws are rusted and may break when I try to remove them. Can I prevent that, and what should I do should they break. Also, the stems are very long and screwed in behind the shower and wall, how do I get to them to put a socket on them to turn. Also is there a standard size socket because I have no idea what make or model the faucets are. Once I remove the stems (if I can) from what I gather from looking at another old stem that I found, there is a screw on the bottom that holds a rubber washer/grommet on. I am going to assume that that screw is rusted also, what if that breaks!, am I a gonner? I am a single mom trying to help my single daughter with three children. Can any one advise me. Thank you in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rusted screws will cause some problem. First spray down with WD 40 and let that soak an hour. Repeat for one more hour. If the screw does not come out, the best way is to use a 3/8" diameter drill bit and just drill the head off. Now you can remove the handle. Once the handle is off, you may be able to grab the screw with vice grips, but actuall you should plan on just replacing the stem, because the other end probably has trouble also. With the handle off, there is now the chrome sleeve or flange. Usually, these just unscrew.

Now, there are special tools called shower valve sockets. You can get a set for under $10. This will unscrew the stem.

Because of the age, the chrome may be stuck and require some pliers which may damage the chrome.

So, bottom line now is that on a good day, you get by for 50 cents worth of washers, next level would be $10 each for stems, and if it is a common brand, a complete kit of stems and all handle and chrome parts might be available for $40 to $75.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a good chance that you will need to replace the seat also. With the water off and the stems out you can take a flashlight and look into the valve where the stems were and inspect the seats. You will need a seat removal tool and a place you can go to to match up the seat. Do not use the tapered type of seat removal tool. You need to find a place that has a good / large selection of seats B4 you start this project. A place that has the seats will also have the stem / washer you may need.

Just FYI.

I have run into a few valves over the years that would not stop leaking no matter what was done due to internal problems with the valve that could not be fixed other than by replacement of the whole valve.

sparkyrhett

Reaction score
Thank you all, I will attempt this project possibly this weekend. I will post back results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks