Power Vent for water heater, venting material

Users who are viewing this thread

khedrei

Reaction score
I am moving my water heater over a couple feet.

It is a power vent water tank. Currently it is vented with black ABS pipe 2".

I am under the impression that this exhaust pipe is not up to the curent codes. Is it PVC now? A special kind?

Can someone who is knowledgable with the code in Ontario Canada tell me what kind of pipe I need to use. Should I be changing my furnace exhause vent pipe at the same time, it is the same ABS pipe. They come out within an inch of each other.

Also, the intake pipe for my furance is only 8 inches long and does a U at the top and terminates in the house. I have seen ones that take the fresh air from the outside. Is this advisable? If I were to do this, do I have to worry about anything in regards to the two exhausts?

What is the proper way to terminate the exhause pipes outside of the house? 45 downwards?

Thanks in advance.

khedrei

Reaction score
Also, what would be the proper way to attach it to the blower motor? Currently it is attached with one of those gear clamp rubber plumbing couplings. Would I reuse that?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The venting material is currently under debate. The heater manufacturers say to use PVC, but the PVC manufacturers state that it is NOT a suitable material, and will not stand behind any liabilities caused by using it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks