Possible Defective Pressure Control Switch

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by one900steve, Mar 26, 2009.

1. one900steve

one900steve New Member

New pump system for my semi-artesian well and has been working fine until we disconnected and reinstalled the tank under new base cabinet.

After reconnecting (leaving the originally set 30-50 psi range) the tank now cuts-in at 30 psi as usual but cuts-out at around 33 psi, giving an apparent short cycle. I checked the air pressure and it is set to 28 psi (measured with the tank drained).

I figured the cut-in to cut-off range got reset some how. I adjusted the nut by tightening it by 10 turns or more and it did not change. None of the controls were tampered with during the setup and protective cover remained on the whole time.

Any suggestions, first time well and pump owner?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If the pressure switch you have does not have 2 adjustment nuts, then you have no way to adjust the differential between on and off. Pressure switches are cheap. Get a new one with 2 adjustment screws.
  3. Waterwelldude

Waterwelldude Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer

Have you checked the accuracy of the gage? With all the adjusting you did to the switch, it should have changed something. You should either get a new switch or try and put the setting back the way it was, and get a new gage.
    Make sure the pipe or tube going to the pressure switch is clear of any mineral deposits or any other type of blockage.

Just a thought.

Travis
  4. one900steve

one900steve New Member

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Thanks for the response, it turns out that it was just the gauge as Waterwelldude suggested. I replaced the gauge with a Winters, liquid filled gauge last night and reset the control switch nut back to where it was as best I could. When I started the pump up it cut-out at exactly 50 psi and now cuts in at exactly 30 psi.

Unfortunately, I never tested my line before we covered up the new floor and now when it gets to 50 psi and cuts out, it slowly loses pressure. I now have a slow leak somewhere on the feed line it seems.

Thanks!