pool pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by cavie, Oct 4, 2009.

1. cavie

cavie New Member

I have a 5 year old Flo-tec 1 hp pool pump. The Aquatools (whoever that is) moter is cutting out on the Heat OV's about twice a day during a 6 hour run. should I replace the motor or just buy a complete pump?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Bearings are only designed for X amount of hours. Once they start heating up, they want you to throw it away and buy a new pump. Planned obsolescence is what keeps the wheels of manufacturers spinning round and round. Better bearings with a grease sert might make that motor last forever, and we wouldn't want that now would we? They also make windings shorter so the motor runs hotter, to keep it from lasting too long. You got about 2 years longer than they wanted you to get already. Probably won't save you much to just replace the motor over a complete unit. I have replaced bearings in pool pump motors before, and got several more years of service.