polyethylene well pipe fittings

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by oldwino, Aug 5, 2009.

1. oldwino

oldwino New Member

I have a 3/4HP 5 gpm submersible hanging 425' down a well on 1 1/4" poly pipe. The barbed male plastic adapter from pipe to pump blew off even though I had three SS clamps as tight as I could turn them. I had this failure in the past and heated the poly pipe to soften it a bit before I clamped it. I did the same this time but it didn't work. Is there another technique or glue that would bond the polyethylene to the adapter plastic. (which is blue/gray - don't know what it is called.

Thanks
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Plastic fittings used down a well is a bad idea. SS or brass with extended length barb is best.

No 'glue' will stick to PE anything.

Overheating the pipe, or not heating the inside and outside evenly, and over tightening the hose clamps, tightening the clamps when the tubing is hot/warm, and not checking the clamps for proper tightness after the pipe is cool, are the primary causes for joint failure.

Most places selling the pipe or hose clamps will have a T handle ratchet type torque wrench for the clamps. You should never tighten them until the screw can't turn.

What rating pipe are you using? It should be 160 or 200 psi. Less is probably too soft and possibly stretching due to the torque of the motor.
  3. oldwino

oldwino New Member

Thanks for the response. The polyethylene pipe is the 160psi rated version.
    Where can I find a SS or brass barbed fitting?
  4. Gary Slusser

Then fittings should not be pulling or blowing out.

Any pump or plumbing supply house, most hardware or big box stores or many web sites that sell pumps and fittings should have extended length fittings. You can find them under the heading Pumps in your yellow pages.
  5. upper

upper DIY Senior Member

If your static is 400 when pumping and then into a pressure tank,Your exceeding your pipe psi rating.....Upper
  6. Gary Slusser

I didn't see where he mentioned the static level but that is a possibly. But not many 3/4 hp pumps are going to be able to pump from 400'.
  7. upper

upper DIY Senior Member

He said it was hanging at 425 ft.Yes you can get about 4 out of a 3/4 horse at that depth.....Upper