plumers cost to replace hosebib

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by lisa-li, Dec 15, 2008.

1. lisa-li

lisa-li New Member

A plumber here who has given me a price of $300.00 to replace my hose bib which was dripping and wouldn't stop.
    He gave me a 1 year warranty that is in writting on the bill.
    Is this reasonable?
    The plumber had a helper.
    They left to get the part-s at a "plummers supply house".
    They came back, and about 1/2 hour went by and they said "DONE" then billed me $300.00.
    I wrote them a check for $325.00 so they had extra money for lunch.
    The hose bib is upside down because of the type hose I use works better that way.
    Here is the finished replacement:

Attached Files:

2. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

That guy made out like a bandit . Hope it doesn't freeze where you are .
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If it works it works. But that is a "garden valve" which is more often installed on a vertical pipe. The difference is the angle that the hose takes off at. The garden valve is a higher flow valve then a "regular" bibb, and maybe that is an issue for you.

Without more information, I would have installed a different model valve, and of course not upside down.

He should have had a regular bibb on the truck, but if you specifically wanted the garden valve, he had to go get it.

Looks like a threaded valve, so other than the trip, this was a 10 minute job. $300 may be a little high, but he did show up to do this small job, which sometimes is a problem to get someone.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That is an illegal valve to put on .
    It should have had a vacuum break on it that acted as an anti-siphon device.
    A "hose" bib faucet would have angled way from the house, like Jimbo mentioned, that one belongs on a vertical pipe, and a vacuum breaker needs to go on before the hose attaches.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If you live in a climate where there is any danger of freezing temperatures, you should also have frost free hose bib. Even though you specified the type of faucet you wanted, any ethical plumber would have explained that what you asked for was improper and illegal and educated you on the proper hose bib to use. More over, that faucet is about a $5 item at any neighborhood hardware store and total install time would be less than 10 minutes. So even though a plumber will charge a minimum for just making the trip, it certainly isn't a $300 job. I'd say you got screwed big time!:eek:
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

That faucet costs more than $5.00 but does not cosst 300 to install, nor is it the proper valve for that application. The hose is also not going to last long crimped like it is.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Let me guess who you had for a plumber...

[​IMG]
  8. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I do not see why a garden faucet is required to have anti-siphon unless we know its height above ground, which we do not from this post.

I have them on all of mine (as good practice) by they are not a code requirement unless the faucet is low enough to the ground to require them.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  9. Joe Six Pack

Joe Six Pack New Member

Ian, I agree. What's all this nonsense about anti-siphon. This is America and I don't have to do any damn thing like that. It's my water and I don't need no stinking water cops telling me about anti-siphon.
  10. Ian Gills

11. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

I have a question for you lady, if you feel comfortable answering that is..

Did you ask about an estimate/quote at all before allowing this guy to "fix" this for you? And if you did, did you feel his price was reasonable?

What a shame, it's guys like this who give all plumbers a bad name. Time and time again I have to fix the installations of hacks and so called journeymen plumbers...and when the customer tells me what they were charged for the original installation...my jaw drops.
  12. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Around here, all outside bibbs regardless of where or how they are located, are required to have a vacuum breaker. This is enforced at new construction, remodel permits, and at time of sale of a property.
  13. Ian Gills

That's why I started DIY. Thank you America!

In England I would never had dreamed of doing work that should always be left to a licensed professional.

Here, you can often do a better job than the electrican/plumber/builder/landscaper sent round.

Well if you use the Yellow Pages anyway.

Can consumers really only trust word of mouth, or is there another way? I do not know anyone here you see. So I could only use Yellow Pages.
  14. you got screwed good....

they put the faucet in upside down ...

they did not even get the right facuet for the job

I have never seen a hose bib that angled back towards the home like that one does

That should not have been over 200....

and it should have have had a vaccuum breaker on it.

I would call the BBB and angies list about that sloppy half assed install job
    call the owner of the compnay and
    tell him that you want a Woodford hose bib installed.......

and you even tipped them, that makes it even
    more the worse....

If you are in a area that freezes,,,
    that will freeze and break

you cant hardley get the hose on the facuet in the first place...

If you ever want to sell the house this will
    probably have to be repaired to make it right

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  15. lisa-li

lisa-li New Member

tears?

No freezing issues that are drastic, maybe high 20's and some snow 2-8 times a year. Lower santa fe NM.
    That hose is on city pressure which I was told was around 80-100 psg.
    I wanted a good flow so that must be why he put that one on as per Jimbo
    says it has better flow so I can wash the cars and water plants.
    I'm not selling the house and the hose is usually only attached when in use.
    I's about 30" above the sidewalk and there is a 30' drop down a flight of stairs so if I ever got a puddle up there that high I think my butt would be on the roof with the cats if the water ever got that high.
    That was the over-all bid for the job and thought they did good.
    Yes I am blond.
    Yes out of the budget.
    Should I try to stop payment on the check so they come knocking?
    Did I miss any answers?
  16. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Don't stop payment ... just learn from this.
  17. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

You need a vacuum breaker TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY. There are many documented cases of a main line break that will immediately back flow water from peoples homes ... now what if you had your hose in a bucket to mix pesticides. It will all flow back into the public water supply.
    I know a plumber who was fixing a hot water furnace and there was a water main break miles away ... he heard a huge sucking noise and in a short instant the entire furnace was sucked dry (no back flow preventer) ... into the potable water supply in went.
  18. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Here is an excellent read that tells you why backflow prevention is needed.
    WATTS STOP BACKFLOW NEWS CLICK HERE

Here is just one of the many stories.

Many possibilities exist for cross connection. Sprinkler systems, Boilers, Hosebibbs, even the fill valve in the toilet tank.
  19. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Ian,
    In third world countries like England, they may not have these protections for the public water supply.
    Here in the US, they have plumbing codes for outdoor faucets that will be used with hoses.
    That's why we can drink our water from the tap, we don't need "bottled" water. Pretty sweet huh?

This is a washerless frostfree hosebib that I like to use. It's a 1/4 turn faucet, turns smoothly, protects the public water supply, and it's frostfree.

I don't have a problem with the price that the other plumber charged.
    My sister was quoted $450 each to replace hosebibs in Tacoma Washington from a plumbing outfit down there.
    With any faucet replacement, there will be travel time, and shuting down and turning the water back on.
    That will take some time right there.

My only knock on the job listed at the top of the thread, was the type of hosebib installed.
    It is a high flow valve, granted, but it should have been legal too.
    She can still thread a anti-siphon to it though.
  20. Sorry to hurt your feelings....

Personally ,, I would stop the check....

New Mexico can get pretty cold, and I remember quite a few
    storms that brewed down there that dumped major blizzards on Denver..

of course, they probably already have cashed it,

being a blonde does not mean you cant still be
    a bit//......

I have known many blonds that could throw a pretty
    mean fit when pushed..

its healthy to throw a fit on occasioin
    , and you are certainly entitled to do it to them.

Terry, putting an anti-siphon valve on that up-side down hose
    bib would certainly make it freze solid in the winter time.

what is that hose bib used for anyway???

I dont think I have ever seen one like that before....
    and why would they go to the trouble of going to a supply house
    and picking out that one in the first place???..