Plumbing in outside wall inside garage

Users who are viewing this thread

RBM Ent.

Reaction score
I am remodeling a laundry room and expanding it into a two car garage by a few feet. the existing plumbing is in the outside wall which is inside the garage. I will be building the new floor section and running the plumbing under the sub floor;and as close to the surface as possible so I can insulate under it leaving the pipe near to the floor for warmth. I know that outside walls are a no.no. for pipes but they have already been there for years and have never frozen; probably because they are in the garage. There is no other way to get these pipes where I need them other than to use this method. Can any one tell me if they have experience with this scenario.

Last edited:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
aslong as you insulate them they should be ok. I would also assume you are keeping them safe from anybody stepping on them or kicking them.

RBM Ent.

Reaction score
they are actually under the new sub floor with insulation between the pipes and the concrete floor.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
they are actually under the new sub floor with insulation between the pipes and the concrete floor.
Should be fine. If you took the precautions of making sure they will be worm then I would not worry about it.
Most pipes freeze from a cold breeze so in most cases just pipe wrap is enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks