Plumbing In Attic

Users who are viewing this thread

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, live outside of Atlanta and am in the middle of a master bath expansion. The supply lines to the shower mixer will be in an interior wall, but the lines running to the shower heads need to be in an exterior wall or the attic. I would prefer not to go through the wall since in the event any repair would be necessary, it would be very difficult to gain access once the granite slab shower walls are in place. I would have to go through the exterior siding.

Can I run the shower head supply lines in my attic? What additional insulation precautions should I take?

Thanks,

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Run the pipe in the attic, right next to the ceiling drywall, then the normal insulation over it. You may want a little slope in the line, otherwise, it will continue to drip long after you turn the shower off. Some people put in a tub spout low with a divertor in it like a tub. This allows you to test the water temp with your foot before you pull it to run the shower and, it makes the line fully drain. It also could be handy to fill a bucket to mop the floor (no restrictions, so it will fill faster), or wash your feet without running the showerhead.

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
I'm using copper but you never know what can happen. The chances are slim for a shower head and it would be a lot easier to run the overhead lines straight down.

Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks