Plumbing Code Queston and Boilers

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by holden94, Dec 23, 2008.

1. holden94

holden94 New Member

I recently posted about a indoor wood boiler. I was wondering if there is anything in the IPC/IRC/IMC that requires a heat dump zone for boiers in the event of a power outage? When we had our Greenwood 100 installed we requested that it be "protected" by a dump zone for power outages to minimize the chance for boil overs. It seemed like a reasonable request but we did not get that. I expect a TP valve is required at the least. Looking for some recourse on a job gone bad and the installer will not do the work to make it right. Any thoughts?
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The plumbing codes do not address boilers but the National Mechanical code does. However, it does not say you need a dump zone. However, the rule is that you do what the manufacturers instructions say at all times.
  3. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Yes, it is manufacturer specific and not in the codes. I will 2nd that.