Plumbing Basement bathroom -- how to vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaboney

Reaction score
I am looking to install a new bathroom in my basement. The first attached diagram shows my current setup with a 1st floor bathroom running to a sewer connection through pipe that runs under the basement floor. A prior owner of the house had a toilet installed in the basement sitting directly on the waste pipe under the basement floor to the sewer. There was no other rough in for shower or sink. The 2nd diagram shows my proposal for completing a full bath group install in the basement. The toilet would be moved about 2 feet and be connected to the existing toilet drain with pvc via a back outlet unit. The basement floor would be "dug up" and a shower drain installed about 2 feet away connecting to the same existing drain (previously used for toilet). A sink would be installed and also drain via pipe in a wall to the same existing drain (previously used for toilet). So, do you think I can use the existing toilet drain and connect the toilet, shower, and sink all at this one location? I visualize cutting out the existing connector to the existing toilet and replacing with some kind of connector that has a horizontal connection on earch side (one for new toilet location, one for shower) and a connector on top to terminate the sink drain. Also, the 2nd diagram shows air admittance valves at 2 locations for venting. I am not able to accommodate vent connections to existing vent system. Do I need AAV's at both the sink location and the shower location. The shower location would be accommodated by placing AAV in a wall that will be built. Would this venting meet code? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 2023-09-27 08-45.pdf
    240.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 2023-09-27 08-48.pdf
    177.8 KB · Views: 112

Reach4

Reaction score
You can share an AAV. Make the horizontal connection 6 inches or more higher than the top of the flood level of the highest fixture served.

I don't see a revised sketch. Depending on the layout, you may be able to wet vent the shower and toilet.

Jaboney

Reaction score
My proposed diagram is attached. I guess my question is, "Do I need an AAV on both the sink and shower, one of them only (which one), or neither of them?" Thanks.

Attachments

• 2023-09-27 08-48 (1).pdf
    177.8 KB · Views: 114

Reach4

Reaction score
My proposed diagram is attached.
Do any of the vertical lines in your diagram represent horizontal pipes, or is vertical vertical?

I was wondering if your situation could done differently and meet the IPC horizontal wet venting conditions. Something on the line of bringing the lavatory drain line to join the shower drainage under the floor, before the toilet drainage joins.

But from a description point of view, having two AAVs simplifies.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not assuming anything the way it is drawn it requires 2 aav. if he wants only one he has to tie those 2 "vents "together in a proper way and there is no info supporting a way to do this.

Jaboney

Reaction score
Reach4, the vertical lines in the diagram are indeed vertical and all horizontal are horizontal. Did not put the lavatory drain line under the floor as I am trying to minimize busting up concrete. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks