Please check my programming, Fleck 5810 SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

paul_arc

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently had a 2 cu ft with 10% resin Fleck 5810 SXT installed.
I would like to check the settings that the Tech input. He seemed to be in a hurry to get it done and get out of there.
I had tested the water a few weeks ago at 38 gpg but the Tech input 48 gpg. So I will need to re-test and input the correct number.

Here is what is input in the controller:

DF: GAL
VT: 5810
RD: DF1B
CT: FD
C: 48x 1000
H: 48
RS: RC
RC: 0
DO: 14
RT: 2:00a
BW: 10
BD: 60
RR: 10
BF: 12
FM: T1.2
RE: OFF
VR: OFF

Thanks for the help.
Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
City water?

What BLFC? 0.25?

2 people? (does not matter for settings, but does for prediction)

The following is only right if your BLFC is 0.25. California calls for less salt than most would prefer, and your installer would have been affected by that. Don't blame the installer. That would explain why I am suggesting a little longer BF. I also selected double backwash.

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft : 7.125 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC : 0.25 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin : 2 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
Raw hardness : 38 ; including iron etc
Estimated gal/day ; 180 ; 60 gal per person prediction (auto-tunes)
Est days/regen ; 5.38 ; presuming days each use estimated

Fleck 5810SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5810 ; Valve type
RF = dF2b ; Downflow, Double Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
C = 45.6 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 46 ; Hardness grains after comp factor
RS = cr ; Cr = base reserve on recent experience
DO = 30 ; Day Override (typ 30 if no iron/Mn)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
B1 = 5 ; Backwash 1 (minutes) [3...10]
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
B2 = 4 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)[3...10]
RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 19 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t1.2 (usual) ; t1.2 is default flow meter
RE = OFF ; Relay
VR = OFF ; ?

==========================
Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983

BLFC = 0.25
cubic ft resin = 2
Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=

3.375 ; 30.0 ; 9
3.750 ; 32.2 ; 10
4.125 ; 34.2 ; 11
4.500 ; 36.0 ; 12; original installer setting
4.875 ; 37.7 ; 13
5.250 ; 39.2 ; 14
5.625 ; 40.7 ; 15
6.000 ; 42.0 ; 16; good less-salt alternative
6.375 ; 43.3 ; 17
6.750 ; 44.5 ; 18
7.125 ; 45.6 ; 19 ; selected above
7.500 ; 46.6 ; 20
7.875 ; 47.6 ; 21; good softer alternative
8.250 ; 48.6 ; 22
8.625 ; 49.5 ; 23; more salt than usual
9.000 ; 50.3 ; 24
9.375 ; 51.1 ; 25
9.750 ; 51.9 ; 26
10.125 ; 52.6 ; 27
10.500 ; 53.3 ; 28
10.875 ; 53.9 ; 29

Last edited:

paul_arc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yes on city water.
Yes BLFC is 0.25
2 adults and 2 children. Average water usage is around 310 gallons per day.

So you would recommend Down flow double backwash rather than Down flow/ up flow single back wash? Is there a reason? Twice is better than once?

What is the reason for changing the unit capacity lower?

Thanks for the help, I am just trying to understand the reason for the settings.

Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
So you would recommend Down flow double backwash rather than Down flow/ up flow single back wash? Is there a reason? Twice is better than once?
Re-mixes the resin. Not necessary.

What is the reason for changing the unit capacity lower?

See the table in post #2. Less salt gives a little less capacity. More salt gives more capacity. It's a tradeoff. If you want C=48, use BF=22. More salt used, but not a huge amount more.

C=48 would not really happen with BF=12. You would run out of softening ability before the unit regenerated. So, on second thought, you can blame the installer. Maybe he was thinking the BLFC was 0.5 gpm.

Last edited:

paul_arc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am still working on understanding since I have never messed with a water softener before.

I noticed you put water hardness at 46. Is that what I should enter? Or I should test it again, and if it comes in at 38, I should enter 38?

Reach4

Reaction score
I noticed you put water hardness at 46. Is that what I should enter? Or I should test it again, and if it comes in at 38, I should enter 38?
High hardness compensation.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....0-sxt-programming-settings.60651/#post-450189
Also http://media.wattswater.com/F-WQ-EngineeringGuide.pdf page 11 of 40

How would you find out your blfc? Is it set per model?
Often there is a label. There are a range of values typically used with the 5810SXT, so you need a label or need to determine that one of two other ways.. However the 5600SXT usually (haven't seen the exception yet, unless the owner changes it) uses 0.5 gpm.

paul_arc

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks. I didn't know about the hard water compensation.
Another question. RS was RC and you put CR. What does that do?

Reach4

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks. I didn't know about the hard water compensation.
Another question. RS was RC and you put CR. What does that do?
RC lets you put the reserve amount in gallons. CR tells the softener to compute the reserve based on experience. For example, if you tend to use a lot more water on Saturdays, the softener will remember that, and be more likely to regen Friday night than it would have been with a fixed amount.

RC has its merits. I use that on my softener, largely because I got impatient waiting for the learning process. The one I would not use is SF. I see no merit in that one.

Regarding the compensation, you could, several regens from now after everything is steady, take a sample of the cold water while you are in reserve and therefore scheduled to regen that night. If the water still turns blue with zero drops (or maybe even 1 drop) on your Hach 5-B, you could reduce compensation.

I looked for a label or indication on mine but couldn't find one. So I pulled it out and it was labeled on it.
It was super easy to get out.
Good deal. It is directional, but you put it back the way it was.

NuNovice

Reaction score
How does adjusting the hardness affect the total amount of salt used? If the salt usage is manually programmed via the brine fill option, how does the hardness setting play a role in affecting the amount of salt used?

Bannerman

Reaction score
How does adjusting the hardness affect the total amount of salt used?
The salt quantity will determine the amount of grains to be regenerated each regeneration cycle. The hardness setting does not directly affect the salt used.

The hardness setting will directly affect the number of gallons to be softened for a given amount of grains capacity that are regenerated.

Using the settings recommended in post #2, Capacity setting 45,600 grains / 46 gpg Hardness = 991 gallons capacity per regeneration cycle.

As a comparison example, if the hardness amount was only 30 gpg, then Capacity: 45,600 gr / 30 = 1520 gallons capacity per regeneration cycle.

A higher hardness amount will result in less water capacity before regeneration will again be needed. More frequent regeneration will consume a greater amount of salt per year.

NuNovice

Reaction score
The salt quantity will determine the amount of grains to be regenerated each regeneration cycle. The hardness setting does not directly affect the salt used.

The hardness setting will directly affect the number of gallons to be softened for a given amount of grains capacity that are regenerated.

Using the settings recommended in post #2, Capacity setting 45,600 grains / 46 gpg Hardness = 991 gallons capacity per regeneration cycle.

As a comparison example, if the hardness amount was only 30 gpg, then Capacity: 45,600 gr / 30 = 1520 gallons capacity per regeneration cycle.

A higher hardness amount will result in less water capacity before regeneration will again be needed. More frequent regeneration will consume a greater amount of salt per year.

excellent explanation! Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks