Newbie question - 5800SXT continuously draining?

Users who are viewing this thread

weller1234

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what's going on with my water softener.

About 6 years ago I purchased a DIY water softener from an online store. It used a 5810SXT head. The dealer asked for my location and provided me with these settings:

DF = GAL
VT= 5810
RF = df2b
CT = FD
C = 30 x 1000
H = 19
RS = SF
SF = 5
DO = 10
RT = 2:00 am is default regen time but you can change if you like
B1 = 10
BD = 60
B2 = 5
RR = 10
BF = 24
FM = t1.2
RE = OFF
VR = OFF

All was fine and dandy for about 5 years until I started getting drips through my discharge line. I read up online that the piston stack was bad, so I went and changed it. That's when I started to get resin throughout the house plumbing. I read up online that the discharge tube was bad (either upper or lower basket so I went and got a new one, same problem). I contacted back the rep that sold it to me and he said the 5810SXT has a lot of problems and although newer than the 5800SXT, it is being discontinued and that he would ship me a 5800SXT under warranty.

The dealer also sent me these settings for the 5800SXT:

DF = GAL
VT = 5800
RF = dF1b
CT = Fd
C = 30 x 1000
H = 19
RS = cr
DO = 10
RT = 2:00am is the default regeneration time but you can change this
BW = 10
BD = 60
RR = 10
BF = 24
FM = t0.7
RE = OFF
VR = OFF

I installed the head and now I have new problem. The softener never stops discharging, even during normal operation. When I force a regen, I can hear and see the gears turn (top cover removed) and the piston cam moving up and down. But then after the regen cycle, it goes back to continuously discharging again through the drain.

Any ideas on what's causing this? I've tried resetting/programming the board numerous times.

The dealer isn't sure and I gave up for a while (9 months). Tired of cleaning calcium deposits, so thought I would take another crack at getting this going.

Many thanks,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks