Please advise on neutralizer and softener purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I had my water tested by two companies and one company came up with 5.7 ph and the other 6.3. They are recommending a new neutralizer and softener. I currently have a kinetico system that is 20 years old that was installed by the previous owner.
One installer is recommending a Charger 48k with metered head and the neutralizer would be a Charger 1.5cu. Any thoughts on these machines? Thanks.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
The company selling the equipment says that they like this brand because it is a simple clack valve. I am not sure I am even spelling that right. Anybody know about these and what the advantage is of this style of softener and neutralizer? Thanks.

EAJ

Reaction score
Cost, reliability, and ease of maintenance are strong factors in relation to the Clack control valve. Make sure the neutralizer has an access port to replenish the media periodically, without it, the job becomes more challenging. Without knowing any of your other conditions, I can't really say that the equipment is correct.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I was all set to order and then went to my father's house and he insist that I speak with his water guy. I called and that company uses a hankscraft rotary valve with a lifetime warranty. Do you guys have any knowledge of this style valve? Thanks.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was all set to order and then went to my father's house and he insist that I speak with his water guy. I called and that company uses a hankscraft rotary valve with a lifetime warranty. Do you guys have any knowledge of this style valve? Thanks.
not familiar. the clack are good heads though, as are fleck. providing your only treating for pH and hardness, this seems ok. I usually advise a cartridge filter prior to equipment as its just good insurance. I'd advise a comprehensive water test prior to pulling the trigger. post results.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Both Fleck and Clack are most often recommended on this forum as service and parts are commonly offered by most generic water treatment equipment dealers. Fleck and Clack units are high quality and the service life expectations are typically measured in decades. Because they so common and are well known on this forum, forum members will commonly provide assistance with programming and trouble shooting.

While the older Hankscraft HS-SMM appears to be a Fleck 5600 Econominder, the newer rotary valves do not appear to be a Fleck design. Less common control valve brands are often offered and supported by few water treatment dealers so if the dealer you contacted happens to retire or otherwise shut down business, you may experience difficulty in obtaining assistance, service or parts in the future.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Excellent points and that is my concern. I am looking for something that I can get DIY help with and maintain myself. But, I was under the impression that there was no need for a filter prior to the softener and neutralizer. I believe that the neutralizer will act as a sediment filter as well. Correct? Thanks.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Excellent points and that is my concern. I am looking for something that I can get DIY help with and maintain myself. But, I was under the impression that there was no need for a filter prior to the softener and neutralizer. I believe that the neutralizer will act as a sediment filter as well. Correct? Thanks.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
to be clear, the neutralizer should be installed before the softener as it will increase hardness. to answer your question, a neutralizer is not designed to handle sediment. you may not need a sediment filter but as I stated, it's cheap insurance to protect the equipment against potential damage.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I found out today that the softener is a Nelsen cl10mcs - c series 1 metered softener valve. My understanding is that this is a ws1 clack valve. Does anybody know if that is correct. Also, they stated that the neutralizer is not a metered head, but a timer head. Any thoughts on that. Both are supposed to be clack valves.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found out today that the softener is a Nelsen cl10mcs - c series 1 metered softener valve. My understanding is that this is a ws1 clack valve. Does anybody know if that is correct. Also, they stated that the neutralizer is not a metered head, but a timer head. Any thoughts on that. Both are supposed to be clack valves.
sounds right. post a pic. the metered softener regenerates based on consumption. the neutralizer only needs to regenerate once a week. it doesn't require salt so doesn't need to be as efficient imo. two questions. do you have a low producing well? do both units share the same backwash line?

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
The well produces 20gpm according to the town records. It is 345 feet deep. Not sure how they will plumb backwash.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20201019_152458.jpg
    20201019_152458.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 122

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a pic
that's a ws1- cs (5 button) I believe. good head. very programmable. just curious because more frequent regen = more water use. you have nothing to worry about in that category..those units will be fine together. if they share a backwash line you will need to stagger regen times by a few hours so they don't regen at the same time.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks