Pipe stub for hand held shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rsmith99, Dec 28, 2008.

1. rsmith99

rsmith99 New Member

I am installing a new hand held shower. It comes with a small flush chrome fitting that takes the place of the shower extension that normally comes out of the wall and attaches to the shower head.

Can you tell me how you get the exact length of the pipe needed to attach the flush mount fitting to the brass fitting in the wall?

Since it can't be seen after it is installed, are there any worries about this connection leaking in the wall?

Thanks!
    Ron
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

All of the hand-held showers that I'm aware of screw directly on to the old shower arm. I don't know why you would need or want to replace the shower arm.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Like this one...

[​IMG]

or, this one...

[​IMG]
  4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Okay, you got me there. I'm not familiar with those fancy models.
    But you didn't answer his question. ;)
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You can't unless you a re initially installing the dropear 90 in the wall The best you can hope for it to get close. If the 90 is far enough back in the wall you can actually use 2 nipples and a coupling. It is more forgiving.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

There is a specialty tool that can be used to measure the length of the nipple required. It's called a "Tape Measure" Measure from the face of the drop ear ell to the face of the escution and add 1 1/4 "
  7. rsmith99

rsmith99 New Member

Specialty Tool

I believe I have one of those "Specialty Tools".

Would the nipple be made of brass or galvanized? The elbo is brass.

Thanks!
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Then all it has to do is measure up to the 1/2" lengths of nipples available. use brass.
  9. Snets

Snets New Member

Is adding the 1-1/4" standard for all pipe sizes?

So what you are saying is that a seated pipe fitting is accomplished by threading it in 5/8"?

Just trying to get clarificatin so I don't screw it up. Unfortunately the drop-ells that come with these hand showers have no trim piece so they are made to go flush against your tile and sealed at the same point.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sounds like it may be a Kohler...they are particularly fussy about the exact length nipple. A pipe thread needs to be tightened enough to seal well and not come loose. You can sometimes adjust how deep it will go and get tight by the number of wraps of Teflon tape you use. For extra insurance, it won't hurt to use both the tape and pipe dope. It might be worthwhile to get an internal pipe wrench. You can start the nipple on the crome finish piece and then use it as a wrench to tighten everything together.
  11. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

I have one of those and it came in a box that says "wall union".

Since the nipple can't be accessed one would have to tighten both the joints at the same time, by turning the fancy outside elbow (wall union). I have to stick a screwdriver into the outlet to get some torque on it to tighten it.

There is no access to the inside joint, so it's not easy to tell if its weeping or leaking. I like the idea of tape and dope both, just for good measure, on both of the joints.