Pinholes in CU piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
I had my home re-plumbed about 1988 in copper tubing. Type L was used. It has a circ. pump with expansion tank, check valves, and the WH is outside in a shack. Now that I am remodeling, and re-piping again, I am just curious. I had perhaps 20 pin holes develop and leak, mainly at fittings, from then until now. Anyone else have this/know the causation?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pump was oversized and not throttled down to maintain a "safe" velocity in the piping. The excessive flow created turbulence at the fittings and eroded the tubing adjacent to them causing the leaks. It is a common problem when someone thinks that a "larger" pump will give better circulation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
About the max velocity you want in a pipe is around 5-6 feet/sec, and a recirculations sytem doesn't need to be anywhere near that max.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
Interesting. It is the smallest pump I could find. How can I throttle the flow rate down without affecting flow when needed?

It is a TACO 1/35 HP. Loop is probably around 120' of 3/4" cu on a horizontal plane, excepting the 5' of head for the WH.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You place a valve in the OUTLET pipe from the pump, NOT the inlet", and close it down until it just maintains the temperature in the pipe. 3/4" is much larger than a recirculation line has to be.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
You place a valve in the OUTLET pipe from the pump, NOT the inlet", and close it down until it just maintains the temperature in the pipe. 3/4" is much larger than a recirculation line has to be.

Okay, I installed a gate valve and throttled it down by half. I'll check later to see if it is too/not enough. Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
DId you put the valve on the outlet? IF not and you throttle the flow down you will destroy the pump. THere just has to be enough flow to maintain some temperature in the return line.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
DId you put the valve on the outlet? IF not and you throttle the flow down you will destroy the pump. THere just has to be enough flow to maintain some temperature in the return line.

Yes. That is where you said to install it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I just wanted to be sure you read it properly. Sometimes all people see is "put in a valve" and then decide to put it in the easiest way, regardless of where they were told to put it, thinking it didn't make any difference, since a "valve is a valve".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks