Pic of natural gas line to grill / fireplace - look weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

CoconutPete

Reaction score
This is a pic of my house. It's in Charlotte, NC and built in 1996.

From what I can tell, the line comes out of the wall, splits in 2 where one goes back into the perpendicular wall and feeds the fireplace. The line that exits the picture runs under (and up through) the deck to a valve that has never been used.

It looks like the black pipe is just used as a conduit for the copper and they are not actually connected - can that be? Seems odd, but I guess I have seen worse.

The deck is coming out and I'd like to change the deck connection to a quick connect for the grill located about 6" after the split (maybe mounted to the brick)
gas-line.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You CANNOT "solder" copper gas pipe connections. It violates EVERY gas code in existence.
2. The copper gas line MUST be protected against damage, which that one is not
3. That line coming out of the wall has to be traced back to its origin to see if it was done correctly, probably not.
4. If you have "seen worse" then THAT job must have been a disaster.

CoconutPete

Reaction score
EDIT: I found the answer to my previous question.

Can you tell from that pic if it's soldered or brazed?

Crazy that it's just buried in the ground like t that...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
can't tell how it was assembled but does not look like it was brazed. WHERE is it "buried in the ground" since the picture does not show that. And if it were, it would make the job even LESS acceptable.

CoconutPete

Reaction score
This is too wonky. Called a plumber. He'll be here next week some time. Here is a pic of the whole layout.

Attachments

• gas-line.jpg
    gas-line.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 645

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Best thing you could have done. Gas is not something a novice DIY should mess with. Screw up on water pipes and you just have a mess. Screw up on a drain, also a mess and a bit of unpleasantness. Screw up on gas, and you and you whole family can end up dead.

CoconutPete

Reaction score
Well ... just in case the masses want to know.

I did speak with a plumber - 3 in fact. One was the guy that either works for the gas company or is subcontracted by the gas company (it wasn't clear - he used paperwork labelled as the gas company).

Everyone agreed that the copper pipe chillin' on the ground was weird, but they all said the exact same thing about the soft copper everywhere else running in and out of the house protected by a piece of black pipe - "Yep, that's just how they do it in this area - i guarantee you all your neighbors have it too".

I took my dog for a walk and a few houses had it visible ... wouldn't you know it - same setup (minus the extension on to the deck that I had) at all the houses I could see it at.

So I had him cut off the gas, chop the line, put flare fittings on it and anchor it into the brick. Now everything is contained in a nice little 2 sq foot area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks