PEX System Choices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Karl in NY

Reaction score
Having been badly burned by the polybutylene pipe fiasco, I have been reluctant to migrate from copper to PEX. However, my new drilled well will require treatment, initially for sulphur, then possibly for pH and hardness. All neighbors have H2S fart-smell water and generally treat with chlorine injection, but I will be going with peroxide (H2O2) and am concerned about eventual pin-holing of copper pipe and have reluctantly decided on a PEX home-run system, with manifolds having valves for each port. It's a small house, and piping runs will be short. Hot water will be via Rinnai tankless, if that contributes to the PEX decision.

I'm totally confused on brands and types of PEX, despite extensive Internet searching. I don't want to join yet another class-action lawsuit in 5-10 years.

PEX pipe comes in 3 types, "a, b and c" and either expansion directional fittings or crimped/clamped fittings, either in plastic (PEX in some brands), and valved manifolds in brass, copper, and plastic as well.

Brass concerns me due to possible dezincification resulting from pH, H2S, and hardness chemical treatment. I don't have a good water test yet since the well was just completed, and I have been advised to wait awhile, and the only certainty will be the sulphur treatment.

So many choices in PEX systems, and I have been told to stay with a single manufacturer for the entire system, rather than mix-and-match.

What to select under the circumstances?
I'm committed to Kohler faucets, and most models come with the rough valves tailored to either crimp or expansion PEX pipe attachments, so those will need coordination with the PEX system chosen.

I'm asking for suggestions on brand, and materials for manifolds and fittings, please. I realize every plumber has a preferred PEX system, but a lot of that is based on economics, and I'm looking for best PEX system while ignoring costs, since the difference in prices between best and worst will be such a minor percentage of the home cost.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a thought, well 3 actually.

Use Pex from the tank to the treatment system, the water after the treatment won't have any detrimental effect on the copper.

If you use a standard tank with an air release valve and bleeder orifice in the well, you may be able to reduce te amount of h2s smell in your water.

We like Wirsbo or Uponor. If you have a drip at a fitting a little heat from a torch will shrink the ring and eliminate the drip and the fittings have a bigger bore so you get better flow.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
We like Wirsbo or Uponor. If you have a drip at a fitting a little heat from a torch will shrink the ring and eliminate the drip and the fittings have a bigger bore so you get better flow.

I assume your referring to "ProPEX" (the one that uses the expansion tool). That's very interesting, neat, tip.

I recently made up a line that had a fitting with a slow drip, so I cut off the Pro-PEX ring and an inch of tubing and redid it. Wish I new of this tip then.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks