PEX for propane?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by HockeyFan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. HockeyFan

HockeyFan New Member

I'm pretty sure I'd seen a PEX rated for propane or natural gas in the past. I'm building a house and am needing to run a propane line, which will be buried from inside the house, through a footing and then out across the ground (in a trench) to a propane tank.
    Because of the way I will have to bend the line when it comes out of the footing, I'm concerned that copper could kink, so I'd prefer to use something like PEX. Does it exist? So far, calling around, I haven't found anyone in town that carries the stuff. If I have to order it, I will, but figure maybe I should ask around and see if there might be a better solution.
  2. HockeyFan

HockeyFan New Member

I'm sort of answering my own question. I swear that I thought I'd see a PEX that was rated for gas, but I was just told by someone that PEX is only for water.

If this is true, then I'll have to use copper for my propane line. THis will be an issue, but I guess I can make it work.
    I'm building an earth home. Where the propane line comes into the house, is in a 2inch hold in the footing. On the outside of the footing, there's a french drain about a foot from the house, so the propane line needs to immediately bend upward to avoid that 4 inch pipe and get over it and then across the yard to the tank. In addition, the area next to the house here, will be buried. This means that this line needs to be low-maintenance.
    On the inside of the footing, the propane line will need to go about 40 feet to a distribution point where it goes to water heater (tankless) and to the kitchen stove. Nothing else in the house will use propane.
    This line inside the house wont have any issues as far as things to avoid. I should be able to run it directly across the house. It'll all be below the floor (concrete).
    So I'm wondering, since I can't just run (end to end) contiguous copper (because of the bend at the footings, there's going to have to be a weld. Should this weld be on the outside of the house, where it will be buried, or should the weld be on the inside under the slab? Is it going to be pretty low maintenance either way?
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There is Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing ( csst ) for flexible gas work, and outside underground there is a plastic pipe, which is fusion welded with special tools. No general purpose plastic pipe I am aware of
  4. HockeyFan

HockeyFan New Member

what's this plastic pipe you're referring to? If I knew what it was called, I could hunt for it locally.
  5. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

HDPE is a rumor in my area, utilities use it underground..I wouldn't even consider using PEX, no way to know what chemical reactions would happen with gas over time.
  6. alternety

alternety Like an engineer

Talk to a propane dealer. Like the one you are going to get the tank from.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

propane

It'll all be below the floor (concrete).

No it WILL NOT be, because propane can NEVER, NEVER, NEVER be installed under a concrete floor, even if it were encased in the same manner than a natural gas line would be.
  8. Rancher

Rancher Guest

HJ, since we're in the same state I would expect the building codes to be simular.

How do you get propane to an island stove if you don't go under the slab?

I checked with my inspector before I attempted anything, solution was:

3/4" black steel pipe inside a 2" PVC pipe, sealed on the stove end, and vented to the outside on the home entrance side.

We haven't blown up yet, fingers crossed after my under the slab copper water pipe sprung a leak.

Rancher
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That procedure would be correct for natural. We don't have any propane in my neck of the woods, but I hear the rules may be different. due to propane being heavier than air.