Relocating Water Heater - need advice on drain for TPR & drain pan

Users who are viewing this thread

dfreysinger

Reaction score
I recently purchased a double wide in a small town in Colorado at about 10,000 feet. The current hot water heater is propane and located in a closet accessed from the outside. I would like to install a new electric water heater in an inside closet. The home has PolyB supplies lines which I intend to change out for pex. I prefer to avoid anything changes to the waste, drain, and vent system because I have a background in electrical and not plumbing. I have much of the details worked out, but I am struggling a bit with the drain pan and TPR drain. I am thinking about a floor drain in the utility closet that would basically dump below the manufactured home into the soil. I would run it in a line to outside the crawl space, but I am worried about snow and freezing temperatures. Is there any concern about this setup? Should I be looking at connecting the floor drain to my waste, drain, and vent system that dumps into my septic?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Floor drain with the discharge from the T&P no more that 6" and no less then 1.5" above the floor drain (double the size of the discharge pipe)

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you currently prevent showers or bath tub traps from freezing? connect your floor drain in same manner you should have the same concerns or confidence its the same thing . youll need a trap primer I would expect or pour antifreeze periodicaly

dfreysinger

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I decided it was easier to replace the gas water heater with an electric, but leave it in the current location. I wasn't looking forward to dragging myself under the home.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
How do you currently prevent showers or bath tub traps from freezing? connect your floor drain in same manner you should have the same concerns or confidence its the same thing . youll need a trap primer I would expect or pour antifreeze periodicaly
You should never dump spent antifreeze onto the ground or down a drain Doing so would allow ethylene glycol to seep into the nearby soils and groundwater, which could pollute water sources, kill flora, sicken fauna, and make the EPA very, very unhappy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks