Pex and sweat fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

fcduke

Reaction score
I have a pex 90 degree elbow with a sweated on stub out on the other end. When I put in the new sink and install the water line, is it OK to sweat on the shut-off valve to the stubout or will the heat melt the pex on the other end of the 90 degree elbow. The stubout is about 4 inches long. I could play it safe and use a compression shut off. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I did 4 of those and didn't have a problem. That isn't saying that you won't just saying that I didn't. It did get very hot but didn't melt and didn't cause a leak.

Tom

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but....
Take a wet rag and lay it over the stub as close to the wall as you can to absorb excess heat close to the plastic.
If your sweating on stops with chrome sleeves, it definitely wouldn't work.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Also, focus the torch's flame on the valve as opposed to the pipe, make sure the stops are in the semi open position...you'll melt the seals if it's closed.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Use a compresson stop and ad a little pipe dope to the compression ring
before tighten it down but not to tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks